• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone got any pictures comparing 30FPS to 60FPS

Associate
Jimbo, what happens if it's interlaced? I've heard that has a big effect on colour depth and field of view?

A friend in the graphics industry also told me that 90Hz is the optimum for realistic flesh tones, which is why all cosmestics posters are printed at that refresh rate.

Soldato
Jimbo, what happens if it's interlaced? I've heard that has a big effect on colour depth and field of view?

A friend in the graphics industry also told me that 90Hz is the optimum for realistic flesh tones, which is why all cosmestics posters are printed at that refresh rate.

Interlacing is obviously only a problem if you're ouputting in 1080i to a TV screen. Since every other line represents one frame, this effectively doubles the colour depth

Thanks for the info re: 90Hz poster printing. You learn something new every day! It makes sense of course, given that 90Hz (i.e. 90 fps) gives smoother colour gradients, but it's not something that would be immediately obvious.

Associate
fail.jpg

......As you can see the 60 FPS picture looks a lot better and smoother.

So i was messing about with my earlier pictures above, as you can clearly see a difference in the 60 FPS pic.

I went a little crazy and increased it to.... 1000 FPS.

Apart from making the text all shiny and 3D, it had this other surprising affect... do you see it??? .... you may need to stand back....

fail3.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Be careful though as if your monitor would normally last 3 years at 30fps, at 1000 fps it will run out of pixels in just over a month.

That's a very good point, I remember when I was a student I could only afford a second hand screen which had to last me three years. I ended up running at 5fps to eek the last few pixels out, and the picture quality was awful, I couldn't get more than 16 colours, 320x240 res, and 3D graphics were impossible.

Its amazing to think how things have moved on since, now they're launching 120fps TVs which allow you to use 3D specs, its a little bit scary to think of where we're headed.

Soldato
On a related note, if anyone here has a monitor with any dead pixels, can they post a screengrab of Crysis, I'd like to see what they look like as my monitor doesn't have any.

Back
Top Bottom