Anyone have a Hot Tub?

Soldato
It’s fair to say grass prefer water without the chlorine but most plants will tolerate it.

There’s chlorine in tap water just at a lower concentration.

Soldato
Guys, I am running a Lazy Spa St Lucia, it is perfect for just me and the GF, and heats up fairly quickly, quicker than I expected but we have it in a good spot which gets sun most the day and it is also somewhat sheltered from wind etc.

Question...

My outdoor socket is IP44 rated, the tub wiring does not reach the hot tub so I have used an IP56 cased (55?) 13amp extension cord which is handling the load just fine and has been for a few weeks, is anyone else doing similar? I should really have the outdoor socket moved but this is working fine, I have ordered a 'dri box' to double up on the weatherproofing also.

Am I ok to continue?

Last edited:
Associate
Guys, I am running a Lazy Spa St Lucia, it is perfect for just me and the GF, and heats up fairly quickly, quicker than I expected but we have it in a good spot which gets sun most the day and it is also somewhat sheltered from wind etc.

Question...

My outdoor socket is IP44 rated, the tub wiring does not reach the hot tub so I have used an IP56 cased (55?) 13amp extension cord which is handling the load just fine and has been for a few weeks, is anyone else doing similar? I should really have the outdoor socket moved but this is working fine, I have ordered a 'dri box' to double up on the weatherproofing also.

Am I ok to continue?
No, it is bad practice to use an extension cord and I certainly wouldn't be putting it anyway near the hot tub (water and electric and all that). I would have the socket moved asap and not use the hot tub until it has been done. Just because it has been working fine (so far) doesn't mean it is going to keep on working fine, you could end up with either an overheated and melted plug or a burnt and melted extension cord.

Soldato
No, it is bad practice to use an extension cord and I certainly wouldn't be putting it anyway near the hot tub (water and electric and all that). I would have the socket moved asap and not use the hot tub until it has been done. Just because it has been working fine (so far) doesn't mean it is going to keep on working fine, you could end up with either an overheated and melted plug or a burnt and melted extension cord.

Thank you however 13amp extension is sufficient it's the lower rated ones that have melted plugs and the extension is no where near the tub.

Associate
Thank you however 13amp extension is sufficient it's the lower rated ones that have melted plugs and the extension is no where near the tub.
What do you mean by " the lower rated ones" ? All British extension leads are rated at 13 amp. It isn't the way that I would be doing it.
Does your extension lead tell you the ratings of coiled vs uncoiled on it?
This, if you are going to use it uncoil it all just to be on the safe side I will state again and say you shouldn't be using an extension cord to power a hot tub.

Soldato
What do you mean by " the lower rated ones" ? All British extension leads are rated at 13 amp. It isn't the way that I would be doing it.

This, if you are going to use it uncoil it all just to be on the safe side I will state again and say you shouldn't be using an extension cord to power a hot tub.

Sorry I meant cheap extension cords.. this is a heavy cord running uncoiled and the plug barely gets warm when at full pelt

Soldato
I'll get some costs to move the socket.. in the mean time perhaps the better option is to run the cable through the window and plug inside directly instead of the outside socket

As the hot tub is switched off at night and only used on weekends this shouldn't cause any security issues..

Would that be acceptable?

Associate
I'll get some costs to move the socket.. in the mean time perhaps the better option is to run the cable through the window and plug inside directly instead of the outside socket

As the hot tub is switched off at night and only used on weekends this shouldn't cause any security issues..
Would that be acceptable?

If you're wanting to get the most out of the weather, yes plug it into the house socket. Make sure the lead is fully unwound. AHH just noticed you've said you have already been using it unwound. I would consider getting the socket moved Asap though;)

Soldato
Serious question why would the extension suddenly melt in this scenario?

Soldato
Hi I am pondering a hot tub, probably next year but want to get things straight in my head........
If i get a half decent one with good insulation, for the most part would 5 hrs a day heating it be enough to keep the temp around about right? I have octapus go faster energy tarrif which gives me 5.5p per kw/jh between 8:30pm and 1:30am my thought is if i can heat it to say 39 degrees in those 5 hrs then shut off the heat and then only potentially heat it more when i am actually in it, would that be enough time to keep it warm throughout the 19 hrs i dont have cheap energy?

5.5p per kw hrs is a lot nicer than the 15p i spend the rest of the day.

thanks

Soldato
You would gradually lose heat doing that. You would have to heat it to 39 degrees at the start, then you would turn it off and lose about 10-14 degrees over 19 hours.
When its on, you will gain between 1 and 2 degrees per hour so starting it up at 8:30pm to get in for an hour will mean you do not get the level of heat you are after.

Ours runs a 'Cleaning' cycle every 12 hours so if yours does that (and I suspect most will do) you will need to keep it on anyway.

If you are concerned about electric costs then I'm not sure a hot tub is for you.

Soldato

Quite a lot are only rated at 10amps, and that rating falls if they are used coiled up.

The key thing is the cross sectional area of the cable used. This should be marked on the actual cable. For 13amps 1.25mm is the minimum, however 1.5 is better. If you're running over a long distance you may need to use a larger cable size which brings its own problems (mainly that 13amp plugs aren't designed for bigger cable).

If you're making up your own extension H07RF is the best grade of cable. It's the standard for the outdoor events industry and actually rated for about 600 volts due to its thicker insulation.

Make sure the supply to the hot tub is RCD protected, it should be if the outdoor socket has been installed correctly.

Associate
Serious question why would the extension suddenly melt in this scenario?
Because we don't know what the extension lead is rated at or the specification of the hot tub, Even if I made a suitable 13 amp extension lead with a single socket outlet I still wouldn't use it. It needs a suitable IP rated socket hardwired to the consumer unit on its own dedicated circuit.
Quite a lot are only rated at 10amps, and that rating falls if they are used coiled up.

The key thing is the cross sectional area of the cable used. This should be marked on the actual cable. For 13amps 1.25mm is the minimum, however 1.5 is better. If you're running over a long distance you may need to use a larger cable size which brings its own problems (mainly that 13amp plugs aren't designed for bigger cable).

If you're making up your own extension H07RF is the best grade of cable. It's the standard for the outdoor events industry and actually rated for about 600 volts due to its thicker insulation.

Make sure the supply to the hot tub is RCD protected, it should be if the outdoor socket has been installed correctly.
Exactly, too many variables, now we are getting into cable distances and the cable size. That none of us know about. It's better to just say don't use it, and get an electrician in to install a new suitable outside socket if you're not competent in doing it yourself.

Soldato
Because we don't know what the extension lead is rated at or the specification of the hot tub, Even if I made a suitable 13 amp extension lead with a single socket outlet I still wouldn't use it. It needs a suitable IP rated socket hardwired to the consumer unit on its own dedicated circuit.

Exactly, too many variables, now we are getting into cable distances and the cable size. That none of us know about. It's better to just say don't use it, and get an electrician in to install a new suitable outside socket if you're not competent in doing it yourself.
So no real reason then!

Back
Top Bottom