Anyone have a Hot Tub?

Soldato
I was in there this afternoon at a very comfortable 36c, had the house myself and decided that a bit of me time was in order. Mrs got home from work and, as the cool kids say, she was well jel.

Associate
Thoughts? I mean most of the cleaning steps I do myself. The drain point has come loose though, so it may be a good opportunity for them to look at it.

As others have said, there's nothing carried out in a service that you can't do yourself (and I service them as part of job) The electrical checks will just be checking terminal tightness and looking for signs of scorching on the cable insulation. Unless it's a warranty requirement, or the topside controller is showing errors then I wouldn't bother.

What's came loose on your drain fitting? They are generally secured to the base or side panel by a threaded nut. If you take the side panel off it should be fairly straightforward to work out how to resecure it. If not post some pics and I may be able to point you in the right direction to fix it :)

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
In laws have asked me to find them an inflatable spa? any recommendations? 4-6 person with £500 ish to spend

Soldato
Great thanks so the 4-6 advertised size is pretty comfortable for 2 adults?

Yes. I'd recommend mapping out the footprint, the inflatable walls are generally wide enough to sit on (although that depends on user weight).
This will give a better idea. Your legs would be extended as there are no seats, so too many people would either have their legs folded up or everyone's legs crossing everyone else's.

4-6 people would be fine for 2 adults and 2 kids.
Check the power supply lead length too.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Yes. I'd recommend mapping out the footprint, the inflatable walls are generally wide enough to sit on (although that depends on user weight).
This will give a better idea. Your legs would be extended as there are no seats, so too many people would either have their legs folded up or everyone's legs crossing everyone else's.

4-6 people would be fine for 2 adults and 2 kids.
Check the power supply lead length too.

Thanks @Bickaxe
I've been looking at this one as it has all the gubbins built into the inflatable wall, there's only 2 of them the majority of the time the extra space would only be if the grandkids were over
https://www.mspauk.co.uk/products/mspa-silver-cloud-delight-series-d-sc04/

Man of Honour

Had a great chill out in it yesterday, I think it’s the first time I’ve ever been in there on my own.

Ants have been a pain. I put ant powder all the way around the base as they were nesting underneath. I think those are now gone. There were no ants for a while, but they then reappeared. I’ve cut all the plants off the hot tub, so I can only think they’re coming up from behind the covers, so I’ve now put some ant spray around the top lip on the outer edge just in case they are crawling out of the panels. It’s a difficult balance, I don’t want any chemicals getting into the water, but nor do I want loads of ants ending up in it either - bait stations are my next go to.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Fed up with the fresh water salt system on my Hot Springs so going to do away with it and just dose chlorine myself. How are people doing it? My simple approach would be to add Chlorine after using it, then monitor. The other option I've seen are floating tab dispensers.

Man of Honour
Fed up with the fresh water salt system on my Hot Springs so going to do away with it and just dose chlorine myself. How are people doing it? My simple approach would be to add Chlorine after using it, then monitor. The other option I've seen are floating tab dispensers.

How come your fed up with it?

10-14g chlorine after I use it. Test with a strip daily, add 8-10g when it drops which is generally every other day. This is probably a tad too much, but it saves me checking more often.

When I’m back in work I’ll place a tablet into a dispenser, I’ve got loads of them - I generally find this over chlorinates the water, but I forget to top it up too often and then it ends up with no chlorine which is worse. A tablet lasts 4-5 days.

Added some clarifier the other day as the water was getting a little cloudy, it worked like a charm, water is crystal clear and it all seemed to have been caught on the filter.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
How come your fed up with it?

10-14g chlorine after I use it. Test with a strip daily, add 8-10g when it drops which is generally every other day. This is probably a tad too much, but it saves me checking more often.

When I’m back in work I’ll place a tablet into a dispenser, I’ve got loads of them - I generally find this over chlorinates the water, but I forget to top it up too often and then it ends up with no chlorine which is worse. A tablet lasts 4-5 days.

Added some clarifier the other day as the water was getting a little cloudy, it worked like a charm, water is crystal clear and it all seemed to have been caught on the filter.

Any recommendations for a dispenser and tabs? I presume you just add the tablet and leave it in there.

The fresh water system is just massively expensive and results aren't anywhere near what is claimed. They want £350 for 3 cartridges which should last 4 months each, so in theory not bad for the year as it sorts out chlorine for you. However I've found they need replacing after 2-3 months which makes them far too expensive.

Man of Honour
Any recommendations for a dispenser? I presume you just add the tablet and leave it in there.

The fresh water system is just massively expensive and results aren't anywhere near what is claimed. They want £350 for 3 cartridges which should last 4 months each, so in theory not bad for the year as it sorts out chlorine for you. However I've found they need replacing after 2-3 months which makes them far too expensive.

That’s really good to know.

Just a standard one off Amazon - very similar to this (ours has a thermometer built in, not that I use it): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08C5GSPQ3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8E0NJFR26VESNF41FTMH

After playing about with it for ages I leave our base fully closed - even then the chlorine tablet still releases too quickly for the hot tub. I only put one tablet in at a time.

Chlorine tablets are pretty cheap. Bought a 5kg tub, have barely made a dent.

Once our big tub of chlorine powder is used I’ll probably just switch over entirely to the tablets, it’s just easier.

Caporegime
Not really sure I'm gonna keep using mine. It's quite expensive and just don't think I'm using it cause I want to. More because I should have that makes sense

Man of Honour
Not really sure I'm gonna keep using mine. It's quite expensive and just don't think I'm using it cause I want to. More because I should have that makes sense

They certainly aren’t cheap to run. A pain every time they need emptying and cleaning too, although I’ve made that process pretty efficient now.

Caporegime
They certainly aren’t cheap to run. A pain every time they need emptying and cleaning too, although I’ve made that process pretty efficient now.

This was inherited from previous owners. Used it for a month or 2 quite a lot. But did shoot the electricity bill up 60+ per month (at least 60)

Just not sure if it's worth that much.

Soldato
Anyone in a hard water area use a no scale type product at all?

Our tap water comes out at ~400 TDS so we have an RO drinking water system under the sink and our kettle, pots and pans are like new but there is no way I want to fill up 1700 odd litres with it, would take a week.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Anyone in a hard water area use a no scale type product at all?

Our tap water comes out at ~400 TDS so we have an RO drinking water system under the sink and our kettle, pots and pans are like new but there is no way I want to fill up 1700 odd litres with it, would take a week.

You can use a resin filter hose attachment if you want to fill the hot tub with soft water. However, I've just opted to use our hard water from the tap and dose a scale inhibitor weekly, which is pretty common.

https://www.happyhottubs.co.uk/happy-hot-tubs-no-scale-1-litre

Geraldine has be added to the hot tub to dispense chlorine. Gone with 2 x 20g tabs to see how that gets on, with the middle setting for flow. 40g over a week should be about right with 3 times per week usage.

LHJzOQi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom