Anyone help with uni knowledge check?

Associate
Hi peeps. Ok, this is probably a big ask as there are a lot of things going on but I really want to try and understand everything and the nature of some of the questions make it difficult to get what I want from google.

We were given this on friday - its not mandatory, will not be marked and is supposed to be for 'fun'

Task for the weekend

Not obligatory, personal satisfaction only !

See how many of the tasks you can complete.

· Create vlan 900 and use as the native vlan

· Use VTP to propagate VLAN information amongst the switches, DLS2 should be the VTP server.

· Give all switches SVI’s for test purposes for all VLAN’s

· Bind the links between the access layer and distribution layer into Etherchannels. Bind the links between the 2 distribution layer switches into layer 3 Etherchannel.

· Enable a FHRP – HSRP on the DLS switches on a per vlan basis

· Configure the fa0/5 ports between DLS1/R1 and DLS2/R1 as layer 3 links.

· On ALS1 configure Fa0/18 as an access port in vlan 10 and a voice port in vlan 100 and to trust cisco ip phones for QoS.

· Enable QoS globally – not auto QoS

· Put all unused switch ports on ALS1 in a safe state and assign to the black hole vlan 200.

create vlan 100 and use as the voice vlan.

and here is the accompanying diagram.

1RMS3H.jpg

the first question. Im a little bit confused. usually we would be told to create vlan xx on a specific device or I would expect to use syntax like

int fa 0/1
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk native vlan xx

so I'm kind of stuck on this and feel a bit stupid :( do I do this on each switch ?

2/ I know how to use VTP to set server, client, domain, password so Im ok with this :)

3/ I can give switches SVI's so I think I am good with this too

4/ I know how to create an etherchannel group but Im confused by the inclusion of 'layer 3 etherchannel'
hopefully im overthinking and its just because its between two multilayer switches ?

5/ I can do HSRP so I think I can work out 'on a per vlan basis'

6/ configure the ports as layer 3 links - so, this is teacher speak for assigning the interfaces an ip ?

7/ not sure about 'real Qos' (as opposed to auto QoS)

8/ so, shutdown all unused ports using int-range and then assign them to vlan 200 and then ..?? I'm not sure what else to do to black hole a vlan :(

9/ I can create a vlan and assign a link as 'voice' but sure how to implement 'in general'.

thank you everyone who pitches in, am trying to sort through it via youtube etc.

Associate
OP
Sigh. I have been a bit stuck with it. Im going to do some chores i have been putting off then try and finish it in packet tracer. you fancy 'marking' it ? :)

Associate
OP
I think I've got it.

I'm going to try again tomorrow. I crashed packet tracer when I did the etherchannel on the 3 links and brought all the interfaces up on all 3 switches within seconds of each other :) but I learned its probably best to bundle 3 commands togeather -

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate

some of it is quite sneaky imo. :)

Back
Top Bottom