Anyone here suffer from delay sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) or night terrors?

Soldato
I thought the human body clock was naturally 25 hours hence the shifting but reset on a daily basis by daylight (hence harder to wake in winter).

I sometimes get a jolt as I relax too quickly as I fall asleep, the surprise causes me to wake partially with a jolt. I'm conscious when it occurs but my whole body spasms.

Last edited:
Soldato
i've always natural fallen asleep around 4-5 am and slept until the afternoon, however I can get up at any time for work even if i've only had 3-4 hours sleep.

I've always put it down to computer games and working shifts.

I've noticed over the last 3 months though that sometimes I have approx 12 hours sleep in in a week or go the total opposite and just sleep eat and work :(

Soldato
I've not been medically diagnosed, but DSPS pretty much describes my preferred sleeping cycle perfectly.

I'm sceptical about DSPS, as my "preferred" pattern is also of 3-4am bed, and 11-12am wake up - but I have no problem adjusting to a normal 12-8ish pattern when I need do.
I think a lot of DSPS is down to how people have their patterns and what's going on rather than due to some medical condition

Soldato
I grind my teeth horrendously while sleeping. Anyone that sleeps with me says it sounds like I've taken out a loose tooth and I'm chewing it in my mouth.

I have no idea what sleep terrors are, but I've been woken up on numerous occasions in the past by girlfriends while literally doing sit-ups in bed. After the first few occasions I decided to record myself with a webcam, and sure enough I do some pretty weird stuff. But, meh...

Man of Honour
Never knew of DSPS before - but it exactly describes my sleeping "problems"... I can force myself onto a "normal" sleeping pattern but I never get good quality of sleep and will instantly reset to powering down at 3-4am if I let it...

Even if I don't sleep well one night - which isn't uncommon when I'm forced to try and sleep more "normal" patterns - I find it very hard to sleep before my "natural" time even if I'm over-tired.

Kinda glad it is a recognised condition tho as I'm tired of people calling it lazy, etc...

EDIT: LOL "Cannabis has been suggested as an aid to combat DSPS"

Last edited:

Aod

Aod

Soldato
I'm sceptical about DSPS, as my "preferred" pattern is also of 3-4am bed, and 11-12am wake up - but I have no problem adjusting to a normal 12-8ish pattern when I need do.
I think a lot of DSPS is down to how people have their patterns and what's going on rather than due to some medical condition

with me, i can be on a (forced) 0000-->0700 schedule for the week, but come friday, i will stay awake from 0700 on the friday to 0700 on saturday, which is when i'll naturally feel tired. then i'll get up at about 1600.

even if i go to sleep in the evening, i'll naturally tend to wake up around 1600...

Associate
OP

DSPS is where your body ONLY gets tired at a certain time, out of phase with the social norm, I guess a lot of people who have worked themselves into a pattern by staying up all night and not getting up early for long enough have ended up getting into that pattern, however it wasn't their natural pattern before they worked their way into it, if that makes sense.

I remember few years back at college, I used to go bed at around 4-5am because I coudn't sleep before 4, and be up at 7am, some nights I didn't sleep at all and ended up getting out of bed, this was 5 days a week, then my Saturday was spent with my girlfriend, leaving Sunday to catch up on my sleep (some Sundays I was graced with her presence too, so occasionally I had no rest at all).

To add to things, when I go to the mountains, I'm absolutely nackered, yet I still don't sleep until midnight or later. There's nothing worse than 16 hours on a coach, getting sleep at around 2am, waking at 7am, climbing a mountain and trying in vain to sleep until around 1am... only to be up at around 7am again for another coach journey. Ahh the things I do for fun lol :D

Man of Honour
I wonder how much spending long periods infront of a monitor in the evening contributes to making it worse... tho I was always naturally inclind towards it long before I ever spent any major time at a computer.

Soldato
I have always had trouble sleeping since I was a kid, I never sleep before midnight and could easily stay awake for 48 hours at a time,

Some nights I don't sleep at all and I can still function at work, most nights I get 4-5 hours sleep, I could take pills for it but why bother? I still function just fine, no need to give it a name

Associate
Think my sleep patern is the same as a few people whove posted, 4am-11pm if left to my own devices. I go one night a week without sleep which puts me into a 'normal' sleep cycle for a few days but by the end of the week I'll have drifted back to 4am sleep time so I miss a nights sleep again, rinse and repeat.

Soldato
I find my night terrors are linked to stress..

As others have said I often find that I will "wake up" and not be able to move my body whilst still continuing a nightmare that I was having whilst sleeping.. this can involve hallucination i.e. actually seeing and feeling awake what I was dreaming... this triggers a panic attack and huge adrenaline rush, feelings of total paranoia / terror and on some occasions I have to run to the loo and am physically sick from the combination of panic attack / adrenaline / terror..

Doctors have been very good about it and I have diazepam (Valium) pop 20mg of that and 20 mins later I am sleeping like a baby.. although getting up in the morning can then be a struggle!

Identify the cause and sort it out.. if you can't change the cause then take the pills and get on with it..

Associate
OP
I've heard of stress causing the terrors, I saw a psychiatrist for a few weeks to try and pinpoint whatever was causing the terrors, but in the end she could find no logical reason.

Taking medication for the rest of my life isn't ideal either, I have some zopiclone left (11 tablets), they are great, infact every time I take them I'm flying high, however the next day I'm all like "braaaaaaains" (zombie), great pills for a quick high and to knock you out, but I have no reflexes in the morning, and waking me is incredibly difficult, the rest of the day I'm like an emotionless robot (moreso) and by the evening I've fallen sleep again, only downside is I then get rebound insomnia where I won't sleep because I've overslept the past days.

Oh and theres no alcahol if I take medication, NOOOOOOOO :eek:

Soldato
I find my night terrors are linked to stress..

As others have said I often find that I will "wake up" and not be able to move my body whilst still continuing a nightmare that I was having whilst sleeping.. this can involve hallucination i.e. actually seeing and feeling awake what I was dreaming... this triggers a panic attack and huge adrenaline rush, feelings of total paranoia / terror and on some occasions I have to run to the loo and am physically sick from the combination of panic attack / adrenaline / terror..

Doctors have been very good about it and I have diazepam (Valium) pop 20mg of that and 20 mins later I am sleeping like a baby.. although getting up in the morning can then be a struggle!

Identify the cause and sort it out.. if you can't change the cause then take the pills and get on with it..

My gf has these exact symptoms, I always just put them down to nightmares but every night, The amount of times I get woken up by her is unbelievable.

Before she freaks out though I usually hear her breathing really heavy and "whimpering" after a few minutes of that she usually wakes up shouting. And she claims to not be able to move upon waking up a lot of the time too, She will start to wiggle her fingers before she wakes up, she says that trying to get a small part of her moving usually helps get her up, she feels that if she can get her fingers working then she can move onto her arm and then onto the rest of her body

Man of Honour
Things can play out in your sub-consious that your not even aware of in consiousness - usually dreams can give some enlightenment... sometimes its quite small things you've buried away from years back and can't even recall but have left a mark on your psyche.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom