• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
Note that some newer Gsync monitors (using a newer version of the Gsync module) support HDMI spec VRR and thus Freesync will work with them - doesn't help for older Gsync models but something to keep in mind in the future (I only discovered this a couple of days ago as Gsync was putting me off getting a 6900XT).

An interesting point, as I am struggling to buy the new Asus wonder-monitor, the PG32UQX at the same time as the gfx. Does the Freesync VRR work over Display Port?

Associate
Associate
This is you looking at the figures from the wrong point of view. Statistics don't always lead people to the correct conclusions without knowledge of all of the facts.
There's less consumer/scalper demand for AMD than Nvidia, <snip>....
So why is this the case? <snip>

In my case, its because my monitor has G-Sync and doesn't work with Freesync, and I'm not desperate for an upgrade

Associate
I decided to update the drivers and play around with my Radeon 550 after using it currently to dual box in MMOs

Completely forgot I needed to use atikmdag patcher to verify my bios mod and ended up with a few hours of hell trying to get it to work.

Simply trying to unlock 1075mv GPU voltage fubars the card with error 43 in device manager lol.

£53 GPU, default clocks are 1206 GPU / 6000 64 bit vram, and it overclocks to quite a nice 1425 / 8000 with a custom bios, and only 66c max temp.

Its quite amazing just how much stuff it manages to run with a pentium at 1200p with low to medium settings, even Civ 6 runs very comfortably at 40+ FPS at medium settings, and a lot of games that specify higher minimum settings still run well (games that say I5 / quad core min and a beefier GPU still get strong framerates at low settings).

www.3dmark.com/spy/20754467

That also made me realise that the custom bios is likely why it wouldn't output when trying to run it in my main PC, would need to revert to the crappy stock rom to test it with my 10900K which I can't be bothered to do anymore.

All the current shortages and pricing do make me regret not having paid a little over twice the cost for a GTX 1050 Ti back when I bought it. Lower Nvidia cards lack the Display Port 1.4 output which is the only thing I needed this card for.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Men! Don't be weak, we need a revolution. Nvidia pushed up the GPU PRICES up years ago which we tolerated but it can go on no longer.

We need to be strong and fight to win back our PC hardware. How do we do that? By spending very wisely, keep your hard earned in the bank. Get yourself a hair cut, do some manscaping around your twig and berries and get out of the house.

This weekend I shaved my gentleman sausage, bought a new 4k Projector and AV Reicver.and went out to get an ice cream.

YOU CAN DO IT MEN!

https://uk.manscaped.com/
I am not affiliated with manscaped.com

Is that alternative scalping? :p

474px-Scalping_lithograph_circa_1850s.jpg

Permabanned
I have been buying endless stuff with the money I put by for a graphics card and it kinda highlighted to me just how overpriced graphics cards are. I do think though that this is damaging gaming. I for one am starting to look at gaming in a new light. I will not take part in all this hysteria and chronic wasting of money.

Soldato
We live in a capitalist society of liberal economics - no chance of scalping being made illegal.

Ticket scalping is already illegal. Running a business (e.g. selling GPU's) without declaring tax on profits or honouring consumer rights is also illegal. What most scalpers are doing is already illegal in a round about sort of way, they just need to make buying with bots and using other people's address/details to facilitate it also illegal and it'll be much clearer.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Ticket scalping is already illegal. Running a business (e.g. selling GPU's) without declaring tax on profits or honouring consumer rights is also illegal. What most scalpers are doing is already illegal in a round about sort of way, they just need to make buying with bots and using other people's address/details to facilitate it also illegal and it'll be much clearer.
I REALLY hate to defend them but technically, since it falls after the VAT is levied it falls under private sale and hence, under capital gains, so they can make a little over £12k per year profit without tax and they're not subject to the same consumer protection regulations :mad:

Soldato

Isn’t ticket touting illegal?
In some instances, yes. For example, the re-sale of football tickets has been banned in the UK since 1994. However, unlike countries such as France or Norway, the re-selling of live music tickets for profit is not against UK law.

(However, it is illegal to use automated software to bulk-buy tickets for commercial gain, and it is fraudulent to buy tickets using multiple identifies.)

Theoretically, there is a variety of legislation in place – including the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation & Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, and the Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 – that should help protect audiences and ensure secondary ticketing websites operate with greater transparency.

Thanks to concerted action from Government, the CMA and National Trading Standards (NTS), such legislation is now starting to be enforced – however, there is still some way before this market is transformed.

oh and a proposed law to change this was withdrawn, because the government didnt support it.

Gaming Hardware (Automated Purchase and Resale) Bill - Parliamentary Bills - UK Parliament

Soldato
I REALLY hate to defend them but technically, since it falls after the VAT is levied it falls under private sale and hence, under capital gains, so they can make a little over £12k per year profit without tax and they're not subject to the same consumer protection regulations :mad:

A lot of small businesses don't charge VAT (and also don't get to claim back VAT) because their turnover is low, but don't get to sidestep consumer law. If you bought and sold 1 card then yes, but if you are using a bot to buy dozens of cards and selling them for profit (unopened in original boxes) then you are a small business and not a private sale.

Private sale means it was bought for you to make use of, you can't really argue that past the first one or two. What they are doing is running a small business. Vat is irrelevant as all b2b sales also attract vat just the vat registered customer can reclaim it and small businesses can't if they've not registered for vat.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not like they could have stopped it anyhow.

You literally can't stop bots. Nobody can. Not even the govt.

Here in the US, the retailer that sells the FE cards requires people to come to the store and pick up the card. This seems to bee a good way of mitigating bots. Unless scalpers have some T-888 units to pose as humans, they need to find humans to do leg work for each card.

Back
Top Bottom