• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
I've even given up looking at 'Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?' posts.
50743284567_066c0db645_o_d.gif

Soldato
OP
I've fired up Steam and started to play the massive backlog of games I have and never installed.

Currently playing Doom 2016 version. Can't say I'm in a hurry now to get a new card as these older games will tide me over well for a year or so.

Soldato
Ah, I obviously don't have the right mindset for this: never considered that scalpers could use Distance Selling Regulations to make the whole thing almost risk free for them.

Tbf, if they never open the box, they could probably get a brick and mortar store to accept a refund. Not that there's likely any stock on the highstreet... But yeah, DSR and an unopened product definitely diminish risks, as long as they're smart enough not to keep doing the same thing from the same place.

On the up side, those unopened returns just go back on sale to the public for store price!

On the down side, another scalper might buy them :cry:

Only thing we can do is not buy 2nd hand or from a popular-auction-site unless we're properly desperate. Make sure it's a real shop :)

We need to be strong and fight to win back our PC hardware. How do we do that? By spending very wisely, keep your hard earned in the bank. Get yourself a hair cut, do some manscaping around your twig and berries and get out of the house.

This weekend I shaved my gentleman sausage, bought a new 4k Projector and AV Reicver.and went out to get an ice cream.

I admit, I got a giggle out of this :D

Soldato
It's not like they could have stopped it anyhow.

You literally can't stop bots. Nobody can. Not even the govt.

If there was a law that held retailers liable for whats sold to scalpers they would suddenly "find a way".

Plenty of ideas, centralised database, face to face transactions, manual vetting of orders, invite to buy systems etc.

V F

V F

Soldato
I've fired up Steam and started to play the massive backlog of games I have and never installed.

Currently playing Doom 2016 version. Can't say I'm in a hurry now to get a new card as these older games will tide me over well for a year or so.

Hella fun!

Man of Honour
If there was a law that held retailers liable for whats sold to scalpers they would suddenly "find a way".

Plenty of ideas, centralised database, face to face transactions, manual vetting of orders, invite to buy systems etc.
This would increase the cost of sale, so prices would go up. Retail has spent the last two decades optimising for online sales, if they suddenly have to make that less efficient it will hit customers in the wallet.

Associate
I see See the Jon Peddie Research report keeps causing a stir:
Average GPU Pricing Skyrockets as Market Quadruples to $12.1 Billion, Report Says

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/sales-of-graphics-cards-hit-12-1-billion-in-q1-2021
The one table of prices per card category is interesting
OkIZstL.png
as is the who sold what and when chart:
O4swjOD.png
Still a lot of cards sold.

I guess the obvious question is how many to gamers and how many to miners?

That is of course harder to answer. The Steam Survery implied a lot of Nvidia 3000 series cards have made it into the hands of gamers (or more precisely people who install Steam which might include many gamres who are also casual miners but certainly no big miners).

The various crypto total network hashrate charts (like https://2miners.com/eth-network-hashrate), imply that since Sept when the current boom started, the ETH hashrate has gone from 220,000,000 MH/s to 560,000,000 MH/s. Since a 3060Ti does about 60ish, that's currently equiv. to almost 10 million 3060Ti, or the increase since Sept is about equiv. to 6 million 3060Ti GPUs.
In that time Nvidia have sold around 18 million cards and AMD around 4.3 million.
Some casual miners will have added to this by pointing cards at ETH while not gaming.

Hard to say which percentage is miners, but the previous boom in cards in 2017 was the last crypto boom happened.

Soldato
More given up now than ever after seeing the stock issues surrounding Nvidia's badly reviewed, overpriced and LHR TI cards if even they're selling out in seconds.

Time to wait for RTX 40xx!

Soldato
I see See the Jon Peddie Research report keeps causing a stir:
Average GPU Pricing Skyrockets as Market Quadruples to $12.1 Billion, Report Says
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/sales-of-graphics-cards-hit-12-1-billion-in-q1-2021
The one table of prices per card category is interesting
OkIZstL.png
as is the who sold what and when chart:
O4swjOD.png
Still a lot of cards sold.

I guess the obvious question is how many to gamers and how many to miners?

That is of course harder to answer. The Steam Survery implied a lot of Nvidia 3000 series cards have made it into the hands of gamers (or more precisely people who install Steam which might include many gamres who are also casual miners but certainly no big miners).

The various crypto total network hashrate charts (like https://2miners.com/eth-network-hashrate), imply that since Sept when the current boom started, the ETH hashrate has gone from 220,000,000 MH/s to 560,000,000 MH/s. Since a 3060Ti does about 60ish, that's currently equiv. to almost 10 million 3060Ti, or the increase since Sept is about equiv. to 6 million 3060Ti GPUs.
In that time Nvidia have sold around 18 million cards and AMD around 4.3 million.
Some casual miners will have added to this by pointing cards at ETH while not gaming.

Hard to say which percentage is miners, but the previous boom in cards in 2017 was the last crypto boom happened.

Its mostly miners IMHO,both casual and hardcore IMHO. Those kind of price increases only happened in 2017/2018 and before when mining became a thing.

Also people were already replacing systems in early 2020 as work from home and lockdowns were enacted worldwide.So the major sales increases happened before the latest mining boom.

Look at how the price of GPUs have quadrupled in late 2020 and its coincided exactly with the mining rush.

You could see what was happening at each mining craze. Firstly, the higher end GPUs sold out and were jacked up in price,then the mainstream and then lower end ones. Its what you saw back in 2017/2018 - even a £160 RX470 would sell for close to £300 back then. Eventually when all the AMD GPUs sold out,the Nvidia ones starting selling out and so on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom