Anyone know anything about security cameras?

Soldato
Recently have become a bit nervous over my lack of home alarms and monitoring. I want to get a camera for indoor use that will start recording if someone gets into my home. I'm particularly worried about some people with a grudge who know where I live.

I want something that can auto-record when it detects movement. Ideally it should have nightvision.
I want it to be able to auto upload video the moment something happens. I've seen many work on an SD card which will be no good if they notice it because they'll just rip out and take the camera with them.
I want it to be compatible with Windows. Everything I've found depends on an iPhone or Android app, which I don't have.

Ideally, I should have control over where the video is uploaded to. I'd prefer that over giving some anonymous company a camera into my home.

I really don't want to spend a lot of money on this. I'd like to just be able to position a camera discretely on the main route through my house. But I can spend whatever is necessary to meet the above requirements.

I'm a complete newb at this. I don't know whether I can buy some generic IP wireless camera and use standard software or if I should buy something purpose built or what. Anyone got experience with these things?

Thanks!

Associate
Several threads in Home and Garden section with lots of detail, including DIY and all in one type systems from companies like Ring and Logitech. Definitely worth a scroll through

Associate
Yale® Stand Alone Home View IP Camera I have 2 to cover front and back - sd card and dropbox back up.
2 years they have been going for - no problems.

Soldato
OP
Several threads in Home and Garden section with lots of detail, including DIY and all in one type systems from companies like Ring and Logitech. Definitely worth a scroll through

Doh. I looked right past that when I went through the forums. I was looking for "Security" or something like that. I am a doofus. Thank you.

Yale® Stand Alone Home View IP Camera I have 2 to cover front and back - sd card and dropbox back up.
2 years they have been going for - no problems.

These? (I hope it's not against OCUK rules to link to another site if it's something OCUK doesn't themselves sell).

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/yale-stand-alone-home-view-ip-camera-480264

This might be perfect. But can you configure it via a Windows machine or does it require an Android or iPhone app like most seem to?

Get yourself a couple of dogs. I've got 2 German shepherds. All the discouragement anyone needs from entering my home is hearing them.

I would love love love love love to. But I travel too much for work so it wouldn't be fair to them. One day.

Soldato
can't help with advice but i'd suggest you nudge a mod to move this to home and garden. some very helpful folk there with a wealth of more specific knowledge on cctv's who may not necessarily be floating around general hardware.

Back
Top Bottom