Anyone knowledegeable on RAID arrays?

Soldato
Never used one before personally, but currently have a server running an Intel SCZCRZ Raid array, with a rack of 5x Maxtor Atlas IV 73GB 10k RPM drives in it.

Now I'm going to reformat the PC (slowly figuring out how to, tried via boot disk and the server stopped me) but the RAID array is telling me that one of the Drives is reporting itself as having failed.

Two questions:

1) Anyone know how I can figure out what drive its talking about? The internal machine numbers for the drives doesnt match up with what order the drives are slotted in psysically. (If no-one knows its just a matter of trial and error)

2) Can I replace the drive that has failed with a Maxtor Atlas V 73GB 10k RPM (basically the IV's successor drive) seeing as an IV model is somewhat hard to find (and overpriced in comparison to a V)?

Man of Honour
1) Does the RAID card BIOS/setup tool have an "identify drive" function. Most SCSI RAID arrays I've worked with have had individual access (an usually fail) leds for each disk. The RAID card would identify a disk by flashing one or both of the corresponding LEDs on demand.

How are the drives attached to the controller? Cable or hot-swap backplane?

2) Yeah, shouldn't be a problem

Soldato
OP
rpstewart said:
1) Does the RAID card BIOS/setup tool have an "identify drive" function. Most SCSI RAID arrays I've worked with have had individual access (an usually fail) leds for each disk. The RAID card would identify a disk by flashing one or both of the corresponding LEDs on demand.

How are the drives attached to the controller? Cable or hot-swap backplane?
Oh right. So it'll be the one with the orange flashing LED then...? Didnt even notice that before. :o They're hot-swap drives. Unclip at the front and yank em right out. :)

rpstewart said:
2) Yeah, shouldn't be a problem
Excellent. I'll do that then, and gradually replace the lot as the die out. Hopefully they wont though.

Back
Top Bottom