Anyone laid laminate flooring themselves?

Soldato
I remember posting this in a previous laminate thread and it caused controvacy!!! but I laid my flooring over carpet, not thick but the crappy contract thin knee burning stuff that came with the house. Did it in 3 rooms here and the same at my previous place with no issues, a lot of positives though like added insulation and quieter but not at all springy

Soldato
I remember posting this in a previous laminate thread and it caused controvacy!!! but I laid my flooring over carpet, not thick but the crappy contract thin knee burning stuff that came with the house. Did it in 3 rooms here and the same at my previous place with no issues, a lot of positives though like added insulation and quieter but not at all springy
You put cheap laminate over cheap carpet? Oh my god :D

Soldato
Think I used old school a4 paper and other times just dived in, started with a full board finished the line with a part board started the new line (at same end I finished) with a new one. Ie so joints are staggered ect ect

Soldato
Is there an online tool anywhere to help plan where the boards will actually be. Trying to plan out where the main cuts are going to be and would be good to have an exact floorplan calculation.
I think you are over thinking it imo.
I usually start on the longets wall, lay the row and cut in the gap at the end of the row.
Then the offcut will be the start of the next row. (placed beside first plank you laid) rinse and repeat.
If the offcut is less than 150mm i will just use a full board for to start that row.

Make sure on the first row you lay, the wider 'tongue' side is facing into the middle of the room

Soldato
Last lot I did was 80sqm for the entire ground floor of our house about 6 years ago it's still going strong now, getting abused daily by my kids!

Always lay it under the skirting (so replace skirting if needed) it looks so much better.

Don't use a chop saw to cut laminate it will dull the blade super quickly, use a jigsaw or hand saw.

Soldato
OP
I think you are over thinking it imo.
I usually start on the longets wall, lay the row and cut in the gap at the end of the row.
Then the offcut will be the start of the next row. (placed beside first plank you laid) rinse and repeat.
If the offcut is less than 150mm i will just use a full board for to start that row.

Make sure on the first row you lay, the wider 'tongue' side is facing into the middle of the room

The complication is that I want to start on a wall with a fireplace then have a continuous run out into the hallway and kitchen. Just worried about getting to the other end and having a slither of a board left.

Associate
One thing you can do is create a threshold gap in the doorway between rooms - this means you can afford to tackle a room at a time, allows for expansion gaps between each room, and also gives you a bit of wiggle room to adjust widths.

Soldato
The complication is that I want to start on a wall with a fireplace then have a continuous run out into the hallway and kitchen. Just worried about getting to the other end and having a slither of a board left.
Only way to be completely sure is to dry lay it out first.
I would lay a plank on the wall you wanted to start off and if possible out through the door to the far wall.
If you can't, just lay the plank near the door and measure across to the far wall.
You should have a good idea of the width of the cut then.
Or if following below, measure from furthest wall to the far wall of the hall and divide by width of the planks

Last edited:
Soldato
Also the layout of the rooms is important.
If the fireplace is on the opposite side of the wall to the hall you may have problems as the 'tongue' on the plank will be facing the wrong way.
Best to start on the wall furthest from the door/hall and to lay towards them with the 'tongue' facing the hall

Back
Top Bottom