Anyone moved to New Zealand / Australia here?

Associate
If Adelaide bound have a look here.

I can't remember exact figures but taking into account cost of visas, medicals, flights, removals and other things I'm sure there are, I reckon in the region of £10,000. This was for a family of four though. A single person travelling light would do it for a lot less.

Associate
I am planning on moving out to Australia Xmas 2010 (although maybe after now due to a contractual arrangement :(). Me and the missus went over and spent 4 days in each of the cities we had wanted to check out and then spent 5 days just chilling.

We tried the 'commute' at peak times, went to local bars and coffee shops where workers hung out. We also got a fair few local papers, flyers etc to get a feel for things.

We plan to go back in March as we are undecided between Adelaide and Melbourne at the moment. Also hoping our Visa actually gets finalised this year ;)

Caporegime
How much did the move to oz/nz cost roughly?

Two adults and one 6 month old was about 4 or 5 thousand pounds (damn this keyboard not having a sterling symbol!) all told, I think, for medical, passport (little one is now dual nationality), visas, flights, shipping, insurance etc. This is with one of the adults being a national citizen so exempt from visa fees etc.

As a single man you would not have to worry about the cost, I'd imagine.

Associate
We plan to go back in March as we are undecided between Adelaide and Melbourne at the moment. Also hoping our Visa actually gets finalised this year ;)

Work was the thing that made us select Melbourne. Much more opportunities than Perth, which was our other consideration, but in hindsight, we made the right decision as we both now have great jobs and love the city and surrounding areas.

Associate
Me and the wife have been seriously thinking about moving to NZ for the last 5 months or so. She has a sister out there who has been there for over 25 years so we plan to use this to our advantage. :D

We are gonna try and save hard for the next 2 years (or sooner) and get as much as possible together so we have a nice amount of money to survive on and then try and get over on a working visa to start.

The wife has been before and absolutly loves the place and the way of life.

FAO

Magnolia
Ricky1981
Cybergangster

Do you mind if email you guys for some first hand experience and advice on a possible move? Cheers

Soldato
No, but i have some relatives over there. I met them a few years ago and stayed with them for 3 months, i wasn't too keen on Australia.

Did the same for about 2 years and breathed a sigh of relief when I landed back in England, Australia is over-rated, expensive and worst of all full of Aussies :D

Soldato
Also just got back from a weeks snowboarding in Queenstown NZ. Would I consider moving there? Hell yeah! Loved it and would consider giving up a 10yr career in IT to work on one of the extreme sport setups they have there.

best place in the world? :D

loved it there, stunning.

Associate
best place in the world? :D

loved it there, stunning.

All i have done since we discussed moving there is look at Websites, pictures, videos and the Billy Connely Tour of NZ :D and it looks breath taking and i keep thinking what an awesome place it would be to live, especially compared to the UK. :D

The mrs has been before and said exactly the same thing and as soon as the funds are availble we will be gone. :)

Back
Top Bottom