Anyone on Pipex?

Permabanned
hi all,

i am going to migrate from AOL and i am thinking of going over to pipex, i would like yor opinions of it, whats the connection like, are there any drawbacks i.e port throtling

cheers

Soldato
I'm with them, apart from throttling P2P 24/7 they aren't so bad any other way. In terms of limits I haven't had any problems but it's not like i'm crazy on the downloads.

They don't throttle Newsgroups and the quality of the connection always seems to be pretty decent for me.

Soldato
Been with them nearly a year?

I honestly can't fault the overall service they provide? Connection on 24/7 (only ever had about 3 hours downtime and that was BT's fault?), the speeds have always been near enough 100% spot on, tech support good if you ring in the day: less that two minutes wait in my experience?

The downside: as already mentioned, they do port-throttle 24/7 :eek:

Which in one of the reasons I'm leaving them as soon as I can :D

I download on average, 60-75Gb (Mainly torrents) a month and they've never complained, but the downloads seem to be capped at about 20Kb/s, unless your client supports encryption?

Also, they only do a 12 month contract as far as I know? And they're expensive!

Apart from that, great ISP :)

SW.

Permabanned
OP
cheers for the replys guys, also what kind of broadband equipment is provided and what tarifs are u guys on, are they tight on the downloads if u opted for a capped line i.e going over the limit buy 10-20gb

Caporegime
He went to Eclipse, but he said they started throttling to, so was gona move again as hes only on PAYG, but he said past few days they been alright speeds have gone up so he's gona see how it goes for a while. :)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Pipex are good, but the 12 month contract has forced many people away. I'd recommend Nildram. Pipex do own them, but they seem to get better reviews, and its only a 1 month contract (not to mention its cheaper for ADSL Max)

Caporegime
Unless your ISP provides stats, install DUMeter, or if you're using a router which supports SNMP, PRTG/MRTG/Cacti/HotSaNIC.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
bbreezeuk said:
hi, ive looked at nildram what is the connection like and what hardware is supplyed and do they mind if u go over the usage allowance

I didn't get any hardware (I use a router) but the connection is great. I've only had it a few days, I'm currently maxing my line downloading the new Battlefield 2 patch (440mb) from a mirror hosted by Zen.

max4fe.jpg

The usage is 50GB during peak hours, but unlimited otherwise. I think offpeak hours are 12am-8am, but 50gb is still quite a lot to play with per month. I'm not sure what happens if you go over, most probably you'll be asked to pay for the additional usage.

Associate
i ditched pipex due to throttling......moved to zen 8meg 50 gig limit for around £35/month...no probs so far been here for 5months

Permabanned
OP
Pho said:
I didn't get any hardware (I use a router) but the connection is great. I've only had it a few days, I'm currently maxing my line downloading the new Battlefield 2 patch (440mb) from a mirror hosted by Zen.

The usage is 50GB during peak hours, but unlimited otherwise. I think offpeak hours are 12am-8am, but 50gb is still quite a lot to play with per month. I'm not sure what happens if you go over, most probably you'll be asked to pay for the additional usage.
thanks for the info, what router are u using and is it wireless

Pho

Pho

Soldato
bbreezeuk said:
thanks for the info, what router are u using and is it wireless

Nothing special. A D-link DSL-904 kit. 54mbps wireless router and a free 'wireless usb dongle'. The actual router model is a DSL-G604T.

edit: I forgot to mention with Nildram. If you don't use the full 50gb one month then the remaining bandwidth is carried forward to the next month. Which is nice :)

Last edited:
Associate
nivlo said:
i ditched pipex due to throttling......moved to zen 8meg 50 gig limit for around £35/month...no probs so far been here for 5months

Exact same boat but I been with Zen for not even a month now :)

I was with Pipex for many years, and they were really bad...

Even if Zen did throttle their ports... I would stay because of their customer care is spot on :)

I would reccommend you go Nildram tbh, Pipex do own them but they have different policys such as 1 month contract etc

Permabanned
OP
well, ive just rang AOL and they wont let me cancel the 12 month contract so im stuck with them, can anyone help me bypass their software using my netgear dg632 adsl modem

cheers

Back
Top Bottom