Anyone own a Pyronix Enforcer with PSTN modem?

Soldato
Hi all,

Bought a Pyronix Enforcer PSTN kit, going to install the kit myself but a bit confused about how to connect the modem to telephone socket. Before buying I assumed it was simply plugging in a telephone cable in but it seems like it needs wiring to the terminal. Anyone with that kit know what sort of cable I need to buy for this? I am a bit clueless when it comes to electrics. :p

mjd

mjd

Associate
Not familiar with installing the enforcer kit but if it's just a question of wiring directly to the phone socket then cw1308 is standard internal telephone cable. If you have some cat5/6 you could also use this. Would imagine you wire as an extension which is no more than punching down the cables into the extension terminals on the back of the faceplate. Plenty of videos on YouTube for wiring an extension.

Soldato
Not familiar with installing the enforcer kit but if it's just a question of wiring directly to the phone socket then cw1308 is standard internal telephone cable. If you have some cat5/6 you could also use this. Would imagine you wire as an extension which is no more than punching down the cables into the extension terminals on the back of the faceplate. Plenty of videos on YouTube for wiring an extension.

Would this not cause an issue with a DSL connection since it would be unfiltered?

Soldato
OP
The installation guide just say it needs to connect to a telephone line in order to send SMS alerts. Below is a photo of the installation guide where it shows where the wiring needs to go but I'm at a lost at what it actually needs. I thought as it is a modem perhaps a RJ11 wire that plugs into a microfilter might do the job?

2134c04.jpg

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Wire those two terminals into either the filtered side of a filtered master faceplate (if you take the front only portion off a FTTC VDSL faceplate there are filtered terminals behind there to wire in extensions), or wire them to a standard BT telephone plug and plug that into your line through a plug in filter.

mjd

mjd

Associate
If you want to connect directly to a microfilter you need the same plug you will find on any conventional telephone. i.e either a BT 431a (4-wire) or 631a (6 wire) plug.
If you want to do this as opposed to punching into a filtered faceplate, you could just easily buy (or find) an extension lead/phone lead with a BT plug attached and simply remove the end of the cable you don't need and wire it to the terminals A and B. You only need to connect the white and red wires from your butchered telephone/extension lead to terminals A and B, shouldn't make any difference which way around they go as polarity doesn't seem to matter.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies so far, so in the installation guide it says: "The telecom ground terminal should always be connected to earth in order to maximise the effectiveness of the transient voltage protection on the unit." Is there a wire within the telephone cable that acts as the ground that needs to be connected to the modem?

mjd

mjd

Associate
There is no ground wire in standard BT spec cable for internal wiring. Would imagine your only option is to ground it using the mains wiring. Couldn't advise 100% on this though.

Back
Top Bottom