anyone remember barrysworld

Associate
I used to play Quake 2 back in the day on Barrysworld in the clan Regulators [REG]Outsider. That and Fusters, what a great server.

(Holy necro batman)

Associate
I used to play Quake 2 back in the day on Barrysworld in the clan Regulators [REG]Outsider. That and Fusters, what a great server.

(Holy necro batman)

And then I sometimes came and cleaned house on barrysworld dm server also played with regulators cs^deathreigns always was on call to help out

Associate
Hi m8 blast from the past:) MPZ was a good laugh, Mike would put up some oddball mods which were a right laugh.

Lol, I replied to a post that was 9 years old.

Mightymike from mpz was a really good guy from what I remember, he gave us a clan server to use in the UT days free of charge when mpz was starting up. He put a lot of effort in and didn’t really do anything wrong but mpz didn’t take off like wireplay or barrysworld... wonder what the guy is upto these days ?

Barrysworld was awesome, great memories, I still speak to cryton who ran the ut ctf league there for a few years

Soldato
Barrysworld was one of the first gaming forums I frequented, still occasionally check in on Freddyshouse but it's very quiet these past few years.

Fun fact, my old manager was the guy who originally did the networking for Barrysworld back in the day.

That forum sits on a server colod by my old company since back when I was Network Manager. Moved on now mind but I still remember what U it is in what rack :p

- GP

Soldato
Ah loved Barrysworld, agree with many as the best era for gaming. Loved playing Q2 CTF as [NME]Obsidian, I was also in a CS clan with Scott (SAS) from Freddyshouse, CS-B it was called, good times!:D

That wasn't SAS that partnered a sever with YO was it? I was a YO member for years, started up their NS community properly (until WoW came along and I got distracted). Obraxis who was in YO now works for UWE doing stuff around Subnautica

- GP

Soldato
I used to play quake3/wolfenstein and Star Trek elite force voyager on BW servers. Got accused of being an lpb a lot with my 256K cable modem and ~9ms ping.

Soldato
Ahhh, hazy memories but I seem to recall dialing up on my Pace 56K modem, checking connection speed and pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk then retrying until I was happy with speed/ping. :D

TFC was awesome, as was HL DM - what was the map where you could flick a switch to move the metal floor and drop them in the acid?

I spent much more time on the MSN Gaming Zone in all honesty but totally agree with sentiments above - it was amazing gaming every evening and weekend with the same people on public servers - a real sense of community and I absolutely loved playing MechWarrior 4, Crimson Skies and later on, RTCW.

Soldato

(Holy necro batman)

Vaguely remember you guys! (man...20 years now?)

Used to be more into the UKCCL side of comps, we joined up late to it. (BS, Binary Shikeng) Started at division 6 IIRC and got promoted every season. Remember in it's last season we gave Clan Stealth a run for their money in division 1, losing the last game on Q2DM8 100-81 or something close to that. Great times...

Associate
Vaguely remember you guys! (man...20 years now?)

Used to be more into the UKCCL side of comps, we joined up late to it. (BS, Binary Shikeng) Started at division 6 IIRC and got promoted every season. Remember in it's last season we gave Clan Stealth a run for their money in division 1, losing the last game on Q2DM8 100-81 or something close to that. Great times...

Ahhh think ur talking about this game Screenshot were we was one man down ;) btw its me at the top

Soldato
Ahhh think ur talking about this game Screenshot were we was one man down ;) btw its me at the top

Woah....memories!

Totally omitted the reason we went in with a chance was down to you guys forfeiting the first game against us. Not that that had an influence...honest :D

Got that game replay (and others!) still safely tucked away, just need to figure out how to fire them up as I don't have my Q2 folder and executables anymore.

Remember CS, UNR and a few others (EED?) being almost untouchable at times. Good times:)

Associate
Woah....memories!

Totally omitted the reason we went in with a chance was down to you guys forfeiting the first game against us. Not that that had an influence...honest :D

Got that game replay (and others!) still safely tucked away, just need to figure out how to fire them up as I don't have my Q2 folder and executables anymore.

Remember CS, UNR and a few others (EED?) being almost untouchable at times. Good times:)

Yup remember them all, if got any demo's and don't want the hassle of getting q2 running , feel free to send them to me i'll covert them to videos and post them on youtube for ppl to watch, and dont make money from it its all unmoneytised.

There are some up already but lost all my demos years ago from hardware failure

Man of Honour
Mightymike from mpz was a really good guy from what I remember, he gave us a clan server to use in the UT days free of charge when mpz was starting up. He put a lot of effort in and didn’t really do anything wrong but mpz didn’t take off like wireplay or barrysworld... wonder what the guy is upto these days ?

Barrysworld was awesome, great memories, I still speak to cryton who ran the ut ctf league there for a few years
Last time I saw something from Mike was a few months ago, he was still busy working on some marketing email system.

Soldato
Jerez, reading this thread makes me feel old, back in the day I Played for =FSA= Funky Skunk Allstars started out on ASE and GameSpy, used Westwood online to play red alert and original C&C, we then migrated to Jolt and Barry's World, played CS from the early days of Beta 0.45, cannot stand the game now.....

Associate
It's funny that this thread is from nearly 10 years ago. Could have started a new thread for anyone who remembers "remembering Barrysworld" 10 years ago:)

I remember it well. Amazingly my regular internet password (before using Keepass) was a variation of what BarrysWorld gave me back in the day.
I used to play TFC on there circa 1999/2000.

Back
Top Bottom