anyone remember barrysworld

Associate
I'm a Quake 2 player too. I still play! The community is very small these days.

I started on Wireplay in 1998 and then branched out into Barrysworld and Jolt etc. I played for a number of clans. My very first clan was Vengeance Hunters [VH], some low division Wireplay clan. I still remember all the great British players: Liquid^, Jakkel, Railden, Adam, Skydancer, Rob*, Luke, Blokey, Shigeru, Mist, Vorvavoo, etc.

Associate
Now that this has been given a bump and found by chance doing a search for Barrysworld as nostalgia after reading Chris Brookmyre's "A big boy did it and ran away" I'll also say hi.

I played for Anorak Death Squad [aDs]Sarin. For a few years in the UKCCL. We started off on Globalnet and frequented Barrysworld also of course.

We ventured into UT, deathmatch and CTF and ultimately Counter Strike (original). Then RealLife™️ tool over for us all.

Still playing daily but console now mainly, driving games, and single player CODs - the teenagers are too quick having grown up with game controllers in their hands, I'd whip 'em with a mouse and kb though.

A lot of time wasted on the Clan matches but such good times, MiRC and Porch with it letting your chat room pals know what .MP3 you were listening to after downloading them off eMule or binaries.

Recently did install Q2 on my laptop, still plays so well. That coding was built for the terrible internet speeds of the day.

Still never had a ping as low as back in the late 90's using ADSL dual bonded, used to get 8-12ms to decent Q2 servers.

Voodoo² card and a timedemo anyone?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yep, it's gone downhill since those days, all sense of community gone. Spent countless hrs on Wolfenstein and ET on Jolt servers.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Just seemed to more clans around back then, now it super serious or nothing.

Then it could be the games are just not as good.

Associate
Used to use Gamespy dial up to get on and Barrysworld servers for our TFC clan back in the day. Endless hours every week spent practicing and then playing matches in the UKTFC league. Then I got married ...and all that stopped :)

Soldato
That wasn't SAS that partnered a sever with YO was it? I was a YO member for years, started up their NS community properly (until WoW came along and I got distracted). Obraxis who was in YO now works for UWE doing stuff around Subnautica

- GP

I played so many hours on YO clans NS server, still a lot of fond memories there.

Soldato
There was 2-3 years of my life I practically lived on various Jolt servers for Quake games and ET, etc.

Completely forgot about Jolt too - I smiled when I thought back then :)
Were they owned (or run) on Blueyonder servers? I remember I would use the app 'All seeing eye' to search for servers and Jolt were the preferred ones as no lag. Many happy hours spent on on Wolfenstein and CS

V F

V F

Soldato
There was 2-3 years of my life I practically lived on various Jolt servers for Quake games and ET, etc.

Completely forgot about Jolt too - I smiled when I thought back then :)
Were they owned (or run) on Blueyonder servers? I remember I would use the app 'All seeing eye' to search for servers and Jolt were the preferred ones as no lag. Many happy hours spent on on Wolfenstein and CS

The memories of some of these maps. :D :D :D :D

Associate
I'm a Quake 2 player too. I still play! The community is very small these days.

I started on Wireplay in 1998 and then branched out into Barrysworld and Jolt etc. I played for a number of clans. My very first clan was Vengeance Hunters [VH], some low division Wireplay clan. I still remember all the great British players: Liquid^, Jakkel, Railden, Adam, Skydancer, Rob*, Luke, Blokey, Shigeru, Mist, Vorvavoo, etc.

Associate
Oh the Wireplay days :), I remember watching, "The long dark teatime of the soul" thread on the Wireplay Quake lll forum, with genuine sadness, as we waited for the 'Phat pipe' to be turned off... about 1.15 on a Monday, I think, :(. Great community, (good memories of the ‘Dan Lans’ in Cardiff, RIP Big-D) …. good times, apart from ‘per minute’ connections… arghhh the phone bills!!!!

Back
Top Bottom