Anyone sued anyone on ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I sold a product on ebay for a decent amount of money and then the buyer backed out which I contested leading to a strike on his account, a subsequent relisting of the item sold for significantly less, and I had to pay final value fees which I would not otherwise have paid because I took advantage of an offer on at the time and ultimately led to a delay of 2 weeks before getting money in my bank account which affected my cash flow.

Now given that I already have a letter before action template ready for exactly this kind of thing and the cost and effort of going to court is so small at a mere £25 it seems like a small price to pay to destroy this guy's credit rating even if I never get compensated for the loss he caused me.

Has anyone attempted civil court action against similar scammers and time wasters on eBay?

Caporegime
OP
How much have you actually lost? I can imagine the time lost to pursue this will far outweigh any tangible benefit.

Around £100, I've sued people before and won and it's no time at all because they never respond to the court summons to defend themselves so a judgement by default is issued in my favour with 8% statutory interest and court costs added, my question was more in relation to ebay specific issues.

Soldato
Set a reserve then. If you are happy to sue for 100 quid, go nuts, seems petty to me when there were other safeguards available.

Caporegime
OP
Set a reserve then. If you are happy to sue for 100 quid, go nuts, seems petty to me when there were other safeguards available.

Setting a reserve puts people off and further delays the sale causing more damages, as claimants we have a duty to mitigate such damages.

You want to **** people's credit scores over because they cost you £100?

So I should bend over?

Soldato
What was their reason for backing out? They are on the hook for the money I assume so eBay must have accepted their reason for not paying.

Couldn't you have offered the next highest bidder the opportunity to buy? I've had this in the past

Caporegime
OP
What was their reason for backing out? They are on the hook for the money I assume so eBay must have accepted their reason for not paying.

Couldn't you have offered the next highest bidder the opportunity to buy? I've had this in the past

Apparently they had just changed their mind which is not an acceptable reason to me.

No ebay did not accept their reason which is why they issued a strike.

I attempted to offer a second chance offer but technical problems on ebay's side meant that was not possible.

Caporegime
I attempted to offer a second chance offer but technical problems on ebay's side meant that was not possible.

Sue ebay.

More seriously, I'm not sure why you started this thread. Based on your replies so far you seem to have already decided what you're going to do.

Caporegime
The question was clearly not "should I sue?".

Indeed, you're going to sue anyway and no two cases are identical so asking for the experience of others seems rather pointless. Even more so when the reason you want to sue is less about being financially compensated and more about destroying this guy in some way. You're a man on a mission.

Caporegime
OP
Indeed, you're going to sue anyway and no two cases are identical so asking for the experience of others seems rather pointless. Even more so when the reason you want to sue is less about being financially compensated and more about destroying this guy in some way. You're a man on a mission.

You seriously think that absolute parity is required for other people to weigh in with their individual experiences? Wow.

Please. This is a contemptible individual who decided ex post facto to change their mind. This is not some poor person who has fallen on hardship who I would be fully sympathetic with, they decided on a whim to change their mind in their own words. They are basically everything wrong with he eBay platform distilled.

Soldato
I sold a product on ebay for a decent amount of money and then the buyer backed out which I contested leading to a strike on his account, a subsequent relisting of the item sold for significantly less, and I had to pay final value fees which I would not otherwise have paid because I took advantage of an offer on at the time and ultimately led to a delay of 2 weeks before getting money in my bank account which affected my cash flow.

Final Valuation Fee offers are very frequent, if not monthly. It's unfortunate when these things happen but more importantly you should reconsider your spending/saving if £100 has such a substantial difference to your livelihood. Relisting the item 100 times may not bring a similar amount that it originally sold for, you're upset because you're comparing it to the big number you liked, which you ended up not getting.

Lashing out because a buyer backed out when they've already been warned by eBay isn't the way to go about it.

Caporegime
You seriously think that absolute parity is required for other people to weigh in with their individual experiences? Wow.

Individual experiences of small claims aren't going to help you. The same case before two different judges could end up with two different results.

If I told you I had a similar case, and lost, I doubt it wouldn't make a ha'p'orth of difference to what you're going to do.

Please. This is a contemptible individual who decided ex post facto to change their mind. This is not some poor person who has fallen on hardship who I would be fully sympathetic with, they decided on a whim to change their mind in their own words. They are basically everything wrong with he eBay platform distilled.

He was honest with you, does that make him truly contemptible?

For 99.99% of us this wouldn't be worth the candle but, as I said, you're a man on a mission. A mission to destroy this guy for his honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom