Anyone used a PCI E - PCI adaptor card?

Associate
Hi,

I've been having no end of trouble with my PC lately. First the mobo starting failing and on the final power-on I did to back-up some files, it took out my 3TB file HD. My case also doesn't have very good airflow around the new HD, so it looks as if I need a new case as well.

But anyway, I wanted to get a dual band network card as there is no Ethernet where I have my PC.

I want dual band as there are about a dozen other 2.4ghz connections in the area which have been interfering with my wifi.

Only problem is, I didn't pay attention to available ports on my Mobo. They are PCI, not PCI-E. The only dual band network cards availble are PCI-E. There is one Linksys card but that isn't compatible with Windows 8 64bit.

However, I have seen a PCI -PCI Express adapter (riser) card. Has anyone tried one of these?

The PCI slot sits slightly forward, so I want to make sure the network card will fit on top and can be secured.

Regards,
Ben

Soldato
Associate
OP
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-616-AS

This is what I've got. As you can see it only has two PCI-E slots.

I suppose I could go with a dongle. I've got a basic 2.4Ghz dongle at the moment and it's ok speed wise. I just happen to have a thick brick wall between myself and the computer.

I could change where the router is, but I use netflix in the living room so the streaming would suffer there.

Back
Top Bottom