Anyone used an Intel NUC 11?

Associate
My diminutive NUC11 i7 sitting atop a Razer Core X (with 5700XT inside). MSFS 2020 running pretty well with it.

Wow!

If you just want to browse and not game, can you simply turn off the enclosure? I guess you would need a second video cable from the NUC to your monitor?

Associate
Finally managed to get hold of a NUC 11 Pro i7 model but boy is the fan noisy. In addition, the coil whine and constant mechanical hard disk type noise is unbelievably loud and annoying, negating the purchase of a fanless Akasa case. I bought the i5 model a few months ago and that has been flawless.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
It only has two m.2 SSDs but there's a noise coming from it that sounds like a mechanical HDD. My guess is it's static noise.

Bit odd to get that coil whine from the nuc mainboard/components, have you tried to plug in the power adaptor into another single socket, no extension plugs?

I think these nucs have different power ratings, not sure if you can try lower watts usage and see if that improves things but maybe a long shot. Its things like this that put me off getting nucs or mini pcs, I really value silence.

Just out of curiosity, how do you find the performance of that nuc? Can you for example surf on one screen with multiple websites open and still stream a 4K HDR youtube video on a second TV without lag?

something like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb3EKWsInQ

I am interesting in going nuc and dual 4k screen setup, not sure on your setup but your nuc has the iris graphics with VC1 decode I believe, so it should easily cope with it but its only a theory I have for now!

Associate
Can you for example surf on one screen with multiple websites open and still stream a 4K HDR youtube video on a second TV without lag?

I am interesting in going nuc and dual 4k screen setup, not sure on your setup but your nuc has the iris graphics with VC1 decode I believe, so it should easily cope with it but its only a theory I have for now!

I sent the i7 back after the whine and static noises were driving me crazy. I already had the i5 version in an Akasa Turing case and it handles what you mentioned with ease so the i7 should have no problem. It's as good as a 7700K. I'm also running two 4K monitors.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I sent the i7 back after the whine and static noises were driving me crazy. I already had the i5 version in an Akasa Turing case and it handles what you mentioned with ease so the i7 should have no problem. It's as good as a 7700K. I'm also running two 4K monitors.

thanks that is good to hear, which nuc did you have and was it with the iris Xe graphics?

Its so hard to find someone who uses their nuc with dual 4K screens out there, I am only considering going nuc/mini pc due to lower wattage, currently I hit
70-80 watts during general use on my desktop PC (AMD 3700x/1650 GTX system) but hoping the nucs are around 20-30 watts for general surfing/Ytube use.

Associate
thanks that is good to hear, which nuc did you have and was it with the iris Xe graphics?

Finally managed to get hold of a NUC 11 Pro i7 model but boy is the fan noisy. In addition, the coil whine and constant mechanical hard disk type noise is unbelievably loud and annoying, negating the purchase of a fanless Akasa case. I bought the i5 model a few months ago and that has been flawless.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

Just flawless :p

Do you by chance have a dual screen set up? Im just wondering how your i5 model copes with dual screen performance, say with multiple websites open on one screen and an 4K HDR clip on second screen if possible, would appreciate any feed back cheers.

Back
Top Bottom