anyone used to play on Wireplay ?

Associate
Ahh the good old days of 1p a min dial up fantastic games of TFC, and a huge phone bill lol.

anyone else play TFC on it ? and if so were you in a clan ?

Soldato
Yup I did, was where I first started gaming :)

Always remember trying to control my usage by telling myself i'd only play for 30mins tops then turn it off. Needless to say I use to go for hours playing Quake2 with out noticing the time go by. I recall one quarterly bill being £500+ and that was when I was using my mums phone line. :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to play on it back in the day (after it took me about 3 months to figure out how it worked! I wasn't too hot on PCs back when I was 10).

Can't remember if it was another 1P on top of the usual charges was it?

What was so different about it compared to just using the internal multiplayer system?

Rich

Soldato
Yup, used to spend hours on there. Was a while ago tho...before Quakeworld I think. Big Red Racing used to be the only game worth playing.
Then I made the jump to Kali for a bit of Doom...now that was crappy.

Soldato
Sabotaj said:
Yup I did, was where I first started gaming :)

Always remember trying to control my usage by telling myself i'd only play for 30mins tops then turn it off. Needless to say I use to go for hours playing Quake2 with out noticing the time go by. I recall one quarterly bill being £500+ and that was when I was using my mums phone line. :eek:

Ouch I rang up a £380 bill in a quarter and you imagine if it was still like that!

I can remember playing HL with some mates and we use to play witha ping fo 500 somedays as we where scooby doo-less about latency then

Associate
OP
Well if anyone remebers any clans from wireplay TFC, i was DSH Bastardos. :)
usually played an engineer in defence.

Also remeber the WW2 flying game where it was russians, UK, US and german ? cant remeber what it was called though something like air attack.

Must have spent about 1.5k on my phone bill just on wireplay the year we were in the TFC league. Worth every penny though, brilliant community.

Soldato
Frank Butcher said:
Slightly OT but does anyone remmeber Barrysworld? I think I was the only idiot to pay the monthly subscription when it all went **** up! :D

God aye, Barrysworld.

The CS Community was absolutely fantastic back then. Never played anything to compete since

Soldato
Frank Butcher said:
Slightly OT but does anyone remmeber Barrysworld? I think I was the only idiot to pay the monthly subscription when it all went **** up! :D

Used to have a column on there! Excellent community, is sorely missed. Have to say I didn't pay any subs, but they'd ridden themselves of their QWTF servers by then. Their gaming dial-up ruled tho.

Associate
OP
I remeber when the best clans were AK47 and SHS ( TFC that is ) i remeber the first time i saw a minigun guy get conc grenaded upto the top of the lift on the well, i think it was called. SHS were a fantastic clan and we learned shed loads by playing them.

Associate
newbidood said:
I remeber when the best clans were AK47 and SHS ( TFC that is ) i remeber the first time i saw a minigun guy get conc grenaded upto the top of the lift on the well, i think it was called. SHS were a fantastic clan and we learned shed loads by playing them.

yeah i remember SHS and AK47 from TFC, I used to be in [U4] and [MD] if you remember them ? :p

shame though, cos the communitys back in the Barrysworld, Jolt and Wireplay days were great, you will never get the same experience now, I think that online gaming was at its peak when TFC and UT were out. Seriously died down now.

Soldato
Yeps seem to remember the ut ctf league there when i was in [Raven] clan :) also used to play in barrys world ctf league also dont forget netgames-uk.net was a pretty good isp and game server provider at around the same time..... sadly like the other providers it all went pete tong :(
Best internet gaming days by a long shot for me :D

Associate
Used to play loads of CS and AoE on wireplay. Was in one of the top 10 clans in AoE and famous for my stupidly fast chariot rushes lol. Used to play as Bahamut for 4kings clan in CS too. Oh those were the days :D

Soldato
AtreuS said:
I was heavily into AvP back then on wireplay... ahhh the good old days. *headbite*

AWWW! AvP online ruled! absolutley ruled!

Ashamedly I am just getting into CS:S (today and yesterday actually) - What a infuriating / addictive game!

Rich

Back
Top Bottom