Anyone using BT Ultrafast 2?

Associate
I was with Virgin previously, and their download speeds are immense but I had constant issues with high latency, packet loss, poor upload speeds and traffic restriction (wired) and I eventually had enough of it.

Switched to BT and i'm on Superfast Fibre 2 76mbps. My ping is under 10ms and my download speed on Steam is always a constant 9.5 mb/s throughout the day, which means i'm hitting my cap of 76mbps.

I've recently been told our area will be eligible for their 'Ultrafast 2 service' with speeds of up to 152mbps. It would require some ground work to get this as the copper wiring has to be replaced with full fiber. While my download speeds were high with Virgin I never got near to my 200mbps cap, and i'm slightly hesitant of having all this work done when my connection is so reliable as it is now.

Has anyone got Ultrafast with BT and do you get anywhere near your download caps?

Soldato
Not particularly helpful to you but I've ordered this for my new build house as we can only get BT and have FTTP installed already. Interested in other people's experience.

Caporegime
"Up to 152Mbps" doesn't sound like FTTP though - it's a G.fast service tier which shouldn't require any ground work as it's just a box that bolts onto the side of the existing (non-FTTC) cabinet.

If you've been told there needs to be digging then you're probably getting FTTP.

Associate
OP
I'm not an expert by any means so correct me if i'm wrong:

Currently have Superfast FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) which is a mixture of copper lines and Fibre. The maximum package available is 76mbps

What they said was coming to my area was Ultrafast FTTP (Fibre to the premises?) which will require groundwork and i'll get speeds of up to 152mbps.

I had a quick look online and it looks like the Gigabit service is for businesses only? If not, i'd definitely be interested

Associate
I was with Virgin Media, service was the Gamer 200 (200/20). I had no problems with the line speed but sometimes surfing was laggy. I moved house at the end of June and went for BT ultrafast 2 (330/50). Speed wise I get about 315/49 and surfing always seem more responsive. I have a Plex server so wanted the extra upload speed that VM just will not offer. I pay £60 a month so it's quite expensive but the service has been great. I also got a £140 MasterCard for signing up which will pay for a good meal out :)

Soldato
If you are getting "real" fibre to your front door then you should be able to order the 330/50 service.

I was gutted VM pulled the 200Mb gamer package, I waited months for VM to lay cables down my street then I found out they'd pulled it and I couldn't order 300Mb to get the 20 up.

Caporegime
I'm not an expert by any means so correct me if i'm wrong:

Currently have Superfast FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) which is a mixture of copper lines and Fibre. The maximum package available is 76mbps

What they said was coming to my area was Ultrafast FTTP (Fibre to the premises?) which will require groundwork and i'll get speeds of up to 152mbps.

I had a quick look online and it looks like the Gigabit service is for businesses only? If not, i'd definitely be interested

If you've been told you're getting FTTP then you can get the 330/50 tier. The 1000/220 option would also be available for you but there's a hefty setup fee as it needs the optics to be upgraded to XG-PON. If you're interested in speed then personally I'd just take the fastest widely available FTTP option and wait for the upgrades to come along naturally as competition forces the speeds upwards. You're really unlikely to appreciate the difference between 330Mbps and 1000Mbps past the initial 'hey this is cool' phase anyway - upload speeds are potentially another issue but 50Mbps up for a home user is manageable once large backups have done their initial seeding.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Steam and downloads from some providers can max out my 150Mbps connection so it can be useful. If you aren't a heavy downloader, or don't mind waiting twice as long for the odd download to finish, you might as well stick with a reliable FTTC service.

Soldato
I have the Ultrafast 2 service (300/50). Anytime I've done a speedtest, I get around 250-270 down but always get 50 (or sometimes more) upload. The download speed isn't really an issue as it's rock solid and I don't think I've had a single outage.

Back
Top Bottom