Anyone worked in F1?

Soldato
Step dad worked as a fault finder for Jag but got out before ford pulled the plug. Said it was the worst job he ever had, long long hours, immense amount of travel and a lot of stress.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Lagz said:
Sure you dont mean 'lose' instead of 'earn'. I thought all F1 teams ran at a loss?

Not sure about it, but I do remember the old F1 adage:

"How do you make a small fortune from Grand Prix racing? Start with a large one."

:)

Soldato
I have a friend who is at Mclaren in woking designing wing tunnels models, says they are like robots at the CAD stations, hardly talk and something about set toilet breaks or having to ask, not really much fun at all in my book.
I also know a guy who went to Jordan as a junior aerodynamicist and was regularly doing 70 hour weeks, i certainly think you have to very passionate about it. Sometime wish i had driven more towards F1, i did apply for a aero post at the new HondaRacing wind tunnel facility but have now gone for a career in the Aerospace industry for a more boring work life but i figure more spare time.

Good luck with the interview, F1 is a lot of school boys dreams.

Soldato
OP
Jonnycoupe said:
I also know a guy who went to Jordan as a junior aerodynamicist and was regularly doing 70 hour weeks, i certainly think you have to very passionate about it.

Thats basically what the job description I was sent states. Engineering in F1 is a lot of hard work!

Soldato
OP
cheers for the wishes of good luck :)

Just got back, was a very interesting day. The factory, although in the middle of absolutely nowhere, is very swish and good looking - the main construction floor was spotless. I think the interview went quite well, about an hours worth of chatting to the head of the department. Was not as technical as I had expected, was mostly focused around asking me about a f1 car's aerodynamics. I managed to answer most the questions pretty well, and some of the harder computational questions which they couldn't have expected me to know I think I answered as well as I could.

Seems like an absolutely awesome career, I'm staying pretty calm at the minute and I dont want to get my hopes up but I would absolutely love to work there. They only interviewed 6 people so it seems my CV impressed them in some way or another :D They told me they would hear from them within two weeks....

Soldato
Good aerodynamics
image2.jpg!

Bad aerodynamics
exBrick.jpg

Sorry I couldn't add more than this bad attempt at humour, 'tis about as far as my knowledge of the subject goes :D

Nice one on the interview though, hope it goes well! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
NicktheNorse said:
Boom, have been invited back for a 2nd interview next week where they want me to hold a presentation of my masters project. I suppose thats good news! :)
Nah, they're going to tell you after you've done the presentation something along the lines of "Don't call us, we'll call you";)

Seriously though, well done and good luck.:D

Soldato
NicktheNorse said:
Boom, have been invited back for a 2nd interview next week where they want me to hold a presentation of my masters project. I suppose thats good news! :)

Well played mate, what was your dissertation on btw, guessing it must have been CFD related?

KaHn

Soldato
OP
no, it wasn't really CFD related at all - which is one of the concerns floating around in my head at the minute (but they know that anyway because we spent a fair bit of time talking about it at the first interview).

I studied acoustic transmission from a cavity in subsonic flow - I've actually ended up with some pretty interesting results. I did play around with some of QinetiQ's in-house CFD code (my project is hosted by qinetiq in farnborough) I have nothing to show for it. o well.

I'm guessing they just want to see how I'm able to present the information, and that they aren't so worried about the content itself.

Soldato
NicktheNorse said:
no, it wasn't really CFD related at all - which is one of the concerns floating around in my head at the minute (but they know that anyway because we spent a fair bit of time talking about it at the first interview).

I studied acoustic transmission from a cavity in subsonic flow - I've actually ended up with some pretty interesting results. I did play around with some of QinetiQ's in-house CFD code (my project is hosted by qinetiq in farnborough) I have nothing to show for it. o well.

I'm guessing they just want to see how I'm able to present the information, and that they aren't so worried about the content itself.

Yeah, you have all of the relevant background knowledge of CFD and Engineering, they will just want to see how confident you are and if you can prepare presentations etc.

So good luck on your presentation.

KaHn

Back
Top Bottom