AOL Users in 'ere please.

Caporegime
OP
Just an update, ive finally got my MAC code from Tiscali, and so have ordered AOL's 1mb Silver, not really bothered about online gaming now as i aint played online games for months, i only played a bit of BF2 anyway, the main selling points were the no FUP, and being totally Unlimited, and theres no throttling/shaping going on, Tiscali rekon they are Unlimited, but they have started traffic shaping p2p so you can't get more than 5k a sec or less down, and thats in off peak hrs to, where they say in their FUP that using p2p in off peak hrs is fine by them, but at 5k or less you would'nt bother, which i dont now. :D

Thanks again for all the comments. :)

I spoke to a very nice Irish lass to when i phoned up. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Been with AOL two years now. Started off at 512mb then got a free upgrade to 1mb. A year later it was a free upgrade to 2mb and just today i've gotten a free upgrade to 8mb :D

Yeah there good. :)

Caporegime
OP
OzZie said:
Been with AOL two years now. Started off at 512mb then got a free upgrade to 1mb. A year later it was a free upgrade to 2mb and just today i've gotten a free upgrade to 8mb :D

Yeah there good. :)

Thanks, im looking forward to it now, only about 10 days she said, and i get a free wireless router as well. :)

Caporegime
OP
OzZie said:
Just to tease you a little more, i got my ADSL modem after 4 days. Women on the phone said give it 2 weeks. :p

Cool, she never said when id get mine, she just said would take about 10 days to do the switch, hopefully ill have the modem by then then. :D

Soldato
bit of a thread hijack i was/am looking into migrating to Aol from Eclipse,have currently got eclipse max dsl @3.1 atm.BUT the AOL website says congratulations you can get aol @512.....WTF no way am i migrating under those conditions :(
anyone know if the website checker is faulty?
i mailed them and got the standard please call our highly trained (punjabi) helpline @£***** per minute :D no thank you

Caporegime
OP
ANDARIAL said:
bit of a thread hijack i was/am looking into migrating to Aol from Eclipse,have currently got eclipse max dsl @3.1 atm.BUT the AOL website says congratulations you can get aol @512.....WTF no way am i migrating under those conditions :(
anyone know if the website checker is faulty?
i mailed them and got the standard please call our highly trained (punjabi) helpline @£***** per minute :D no thank you

Yeah i got that to, its the checker as i put my dads phone number in and it said the same thing up to 512k, and hes already on their 1mb silver service. :D

I phoned up, and the lass asked what package i wanted, so i said the 1mb silver and she said my line was fine for that, and im probably already on 1mb anyway as thats the most my line can have, so i just said yeah ive already got 1mb. :)

Theres a guy been posting on the Tiscali forums about AOL, he said he migrated to them about 2 weeks ago, says they great, no FUP, no throttling/traffic shaping nowt, he's been downloading 24/7 at cracking speeds. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
LoadsaMoney said:
Hi all,

Any AOL users here as im thinking of migrating over to them from Tiscali, (was gona try Eclipse, but seen as they are throttling now, and i can't anyway as they say for Tiscali id have to cancel that, and go through the whole sign up with them thing, as they can't migrate Tiscali, so id be without internet for years) whats your thoughts, how do you find them, any trouble with p2p, that sort of thing, as they are about the only true Unlimited service out there.

Thanks. :)

Mate you're thinking of going from one awful ISP to another, why? :eek:

AOL are the pits... they filter your online contect, they were even voted worst tech product of all time lately! http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125772,pg,2,00.asp

How do we loathe AOL? Let us count the ways. Since America Online emerged from the belly of a BBS called Quantum "PC-Link" in 1989, users have suffered through awful software, inaccessible dial-up numbers, rapacious marketing, in-your-face advertising, questionable billing practices, inexcusably poor customer service, and enough spam to last a lifetime. And all the while, AOL remained more expensive than its major competitors. This lethal combination earned the world's biggest ISP the top spot on our list of bottom feeders.

AOL succeeded initially by targeting newbies, using brute-force marketing techniques. In the 90s you couldn't open a magazine (PC World included) or your mailbox without an AOL disk falling out of it. This carpet-bombing technique yielded big numbers: At its peak, AOL claimed 34 million subscribers worldwide, though it never revealed how many were just using up their free hours.

Once AOL had you in its clutches, escaping was notoriously difficult. Several states sued the service, claiming that it continued to bill customers after they had requested cancellation of their subscriptions. In August 2005, AOL paid a $1.25 million fine to the state of New York and agreed to change its cancellation policies--but the agreement covered only people in New York.

Ultimately the Net itself--which AOL subscribers were finally able to access in 1995-- made the service's shortcomings painfully obvious. Prior to that, though AOL offered plenty of its own online content, it walled off the greater Internet. Once people realized what content was available elsewhere on the Net, they started wondering why they were paying AOL. And as America moved to broadband, many left their sluggish AOL accounts behind. AOL is now busy rebranding itself as a content provider, not an access service.

Though America Online has shown some improvement lately--with better browsers and e-mail tools, fewer obnoxious ads, scads of broadband content, and innovative features such as parental controls--it has never overcome the stigma of being the online service for people who don't know any better.

Surely there must be a better choice for ya matey? :)

Soldato
i rate aol no problems here, i dont use there software just use my address and password through a router. On 2MB unlimited £19.99 never had a connection drop or anything else wrong for that matter in 1 and a half years :D

Soldato
Yeah, its the AOL software that is memory hungry. Don't install it unless you want all the AOL extras like music videos etc. Just connect as any other ADSL modem via windows :D

Permabanned
hey guys how can i get online without using the supplied software and modem as they are constantly disconnnecting. i have a spare adsl modem that i cannot get working its a netgear dg632 and i have tried and tried but to no avail.

Soldato
I've gotten the DG632 and AOL so i know it works.

Install the USB drivers for the modem. Go into your internet browser "192.168.0.1" password "password" run the auto setup wizard and make sure where it says username to add "@aol.com" to the end. Password is just the same. Reboot and you should be connected. :)

Permabanned
OzZie said:
I've gotten the DG632 and AOL so i know it works.

Install the USB drivers for the modem. Go into your internet browser "192.168.0.1" password "password" run the auto setup wizard and make sure where it says username to add "@aol.com" to the end. Password is just the same. Reboot and you should be connected. :)
ive treid that many time m8, i will have another go when i get home and post back, thanks for the info

Soldato
OzZie said:
You dont need to use the software anyway to connect ;)

Yep:-

Go to Start>>Control Panel>>Network and Internet Connections>>Network Connections

Click on Create a new connection

firstpic17ot.jpg

Disregard the connection already present ( circled in red ), thats the one I've got in there already, you wont have one there yet.

The New Connection box pops up:-

step22go.jpg

Select "Connect to the Internet":-

step37bm.jpg

Soldato
Choose "Set up my connection manually":-

step41sl.jpg

Select "Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password":-

step58tz.jpg

Enter a name for the ISP, doesn't matter what, just something to identify it as the AOL connection:-

step68fq.jpg

Enter your username and password:-

step81hw.jpg

This MUST be your master screen name and correct AOL password, exactly as it as you enter it within the AOL software. Also, UNTICK the boxes below the boxes for the username and password.

Back
Top Bottom