AOL Users in 'ere please.

Soldato
You should then get this screen:-

step95da.jpg

Tick "Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop" and then click "Finish".

Upon clicking the desktop shortcut, you should get this screen:-

step100ae.jpg

Click connect and thats you online.

Make sure your username and password are exactly as they are as if you were entering them into the AOL screens. I believe they are also "case sensitive".

This certainly works for those on an ADSL modem ( I've just tried it again, hence the "AOL Broadband2" name, I've now got two working connections on my desktop, it may be different if you are using a router, I'm not sure.

However, as per router setup, your username and password need to be typed in small letters and your password needs to be 8 characters or less. You also need to add @aol.com on your username.

If your password is more than 8 characters it will come back with a username/password error, so, if it is more than 8 characters, sign into the AOL software and change your password to 8 characters or less.

EXAMPLE:

USERNAME: [email protected]
PASSWORD: myhome5

I've been with AOL for years now, never had much bother with them, despite the bad press they cop. The Tech help is awful, I just dont bother with them tbh. The service however, is pretty good, from my own experiance at least.

I'm on the 8Mb service now, after taking part in the trials for it, and speeds are fantastic. Bittorent speeds are also excellent. No worries there. :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice guide. Can tell you've put some effort into it :)

OT: Have your pings lowered since the upload speeds increased for those on 8meg? I'm yet to try any games but theoretically i would imagine pings would be significantly lower than that of 256kb standard upload. :cool:

Soldato
OzZie said:
Nice guide. Can tell you've put some effort into it :)

OT: Have your pings lowered since the upload speeds increased for those on 8meg? I'm yet to try any games but theoretically i would imagine pings would be significantly lower than that of 256kb standard upload. :cool:

Thanks. :cool:

Pings have dropped a wee bit. On the 2Mb connection I was pinging around 30-40 on good UK DoD:S servers, including my own clan server.

After the upgrade to 8Mb, I'm now in the 15-30 region, usually around 20 ish.

bbreezeuk said:
Draeger i cant thank you enough im on the internet without the software but im using the crappy aol modem can u help me with my negear

Glad it helped m8, I'm using a standard BT Voyager 105 USB modem too, with no probs so far. Been meaning to get a Router at some point, but just haven't got around to it yet.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OzZie said:
theoretically i would imagine pings would be significantly lower than that of 256kb standard upload. :cool:

Not even theoretically. Barring routing changes, you won't see any difference.

Nice guide, though it's irrelevant for a router, and anyone using a USB modem on Max needs a slap.

Last edited:
Soldato
tolien said:
Not even theoretically. Barring routing changes, you won't see any difference.

The guide is irrelevant for a router too, and anyone using a USB modem on Max needs a slap.

At the end of the day, I'm only trying to help. :(

The guide covers basic procedures required to set up a seperate connection without the AOL software, thats all. I'm hoping it helps some folk out, who were not aware of this.

I'm on AOL MaxDSL, yeah. I'm still using this little Voyager 105, so.......tolien, what would you suggest I change to, and can I expect to see any increase in performance if I do?. :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Draeger said:
At the end of the day, I was only trying to help. :(

The guide covers basic procedures required to set up a seperate connection without the AOL software, thats all. I'm hoping it helps some folk out, who were not aware of this.

Ultimately using a router's a much better idea (especially when most ISPs are swapping them out for free or a smallish charge).
PPPoE isn't a great idea either, reduced throughput and increased latency, and at last count it isn't totally supported.

I'm on AOL MaxDSL, yeah. I'm still using this little Voyager 105, so.......Tolien, what would you suggest I change to, and can I expect to see any increase in performance if I do?. :cool:

Any router would do, and you should expect to see an improvement in throughput (if you're synching more than about 4Mbps). Most (sensible) ISPs are stopping dishing them out and are swapping them for routers.

Soldato
Thanks for the info m8. Will check it out.

Like I said, been meaning to swap this little USB modem over for a router of some sort since I upgraded to MaxDSL. Just havent got my finger out and got around to doing so as of yet. :cool:

Caporegime
OP
Many thanks for that Draeger, i should be switched to AOL in about 10 days or so, so i now know what to do so i don't need to use their software. :cool:

so all i have to do is, once im ready to go, and my modems turned up, instead of installing the software, i just install the modem, and make the connection myself using your guide.

EDIT: Ive already got my username/password as she gave me them over the phone, and said when i connect, ive to connect as an existing user, then use the username/password she gave me, now i know i should be able to change the password to something different, so will i need to install the software first so i can do that, or can i just use the password i was given, as that will be my account anyway as they set it all up as your migrating, and migrating is different to when you sign up without doing a migrate, if you know what i mean.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
LoadsaMoney said:
Many thanks for that Draeger, i should be switched to AOL in about 10 days or so, so i now know what to do so i don't need to use their software. :cool:

so all i have to do is, once im ready to go, and my modems turned up, instead of installing the software, i just install the modem, and make the connection myself using your guide.

EDIT: Ive already got my username/password as she gave me them over the phone, and said when i connect, ive to connect as an existing user, then use the username/password she gave me, now i know i should be able to change the password to something different, so will i need to install the software first so i can do that, or can i just use the password i was given, as that will be my account anyway as they set it all up as your migrating, and migrating is different to when you sign up without doing a migrate, if you know what i mean.

Thanks. :)
just use the password u were given, its all i did

Soldato
any one here migrated from eclopse to aol?
if so were you able to keep your maxdsl?am @3mbps with eclipse but due to the `shaping` they have now implimented am thinking(still :D )about jumping ship
problem is the aol site says i can only get 512k :(
have mailed em and had a reply saying
This is true that the 8mb speed upgrade will be provided to the AOL Platinum members This upgrade will be done in due course of time. It would be difficult to provide the status of the upgrades which are being done or which are about to be done on different exchanges ADSL max is a type of upgrade which is done for the members who's line cannot be upgraded with LLU. This particular upgrade has also started and the exchanges are being upgraded for the same and the beta testing stage is on at the moment and some lines have been upgraded for the trial purpose. As we already told you, it would be very difficult to provide you the information about which exchange is supposed to be upgraded first, Within the next six months we will start upgrading the speeds of our AOL Broadband services. Subject to availability, we will aim to upgrade AOL Platinum to support speeds of between 2 and 8Mbps
just a snippit from the reply,so to me it implies that i would not get my existing speed,is that how you would read it?
i know i could phone up but i have a bit of dificulty with my hearing and trying to understand someone from abroad(indian call center??) is a pain
any comments please
thanx

Soldato
ANDARIAL said:
any one here migrated from eclopse to aol?
if so were you able to keep your maxdsl?am @3mbps with eclipse but due to the `shaping` they have now implimented am thinking(still :D )about jumping ship
problem is the aol site says i can only get 512k :(
have mailed em and had a reply saying
just a snippit from the reply,so to me it implies that i would not get my existing speed,is that how you would read it?
i know i could phone up but i have a bit of dificulty with my hearing and trying to understand someone from abroad(indian call center??) is a pain
any comments please
thanx

Ring this number for aol customer services I got through in about 30 secs 0117 919 1100 oh and its English which always help!!give it a call.

Soldato
Been with AOL for 4 years, only 2 incident which ****** me off - one was some stupid techie over the phone with not a clue what's going wrong and kept blaming on my RJ11 wire. The otherw as them accidently charging me Broadband Gold eventhough my area have 512kbps MAX. They did apologise and give me 6 months free due to over charging.

Overall, been pleased with them - and they're probably one of the only few ISP that stays true to their word for "Unlimited". P2P, internet, gaming ETC, totally unlimited.

No swearing.

Otacon

Caporegime
OP
Dr Jones said:
Overall, been pleased with them - and they're probably one of the only few ISP that stays true to their word for "Unlimited". P2P, internet, gaming ETC, totally unlimited.

Yeah thats what swung it for me, i would'nt have minded if Tiscali only did their shaping etc... in peak hrs, as there peak hrs are only 6pm to 11pm, and i don't download during them hrs anyway, but to do it in off peak hrs when they say you can use it as much as you like is bang out of order, they only let you get your unrestricted full speeds from about 1am till 8am, pathetic.

Permabanned
Dr Jones said:
no not really as they heavily cut the speed if u download 24/7

Back
Top Bottom