Aorus 1080ti Extream Edition clock attempt..

Associate
Hi guys,

Been trying to find a stable clock for the Aorus 1080ti XE but to no avail.
I'm pretty new to the overclocking scene.

I was following this guide from Guru3d (https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-aorus-gtx-1080-ti-xtreme-gaming-review,40.html) which states a clock of:
  • Core Voltage : +100%
  • Power Limit : 150%
  • Temp. limit : 90C
  • Core Clock : + 40
  • Memory Clock : +510 MHz (=12246 MHz effective data-rate)
  • FAN RPM: default
Was pretty stable. So i applied it.. tested it and about 4 mins into the test, screen freeze. Using MSI AB.
I cant seem to find anything, or know enough to get anywhere.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
For reference my build is:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Formula Z370
CPU: Intel i8 8700k (Coffee Lake) 35% Clock
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Xtreme Edition
PSU: Corsair TX750M 80+ Gold
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4
Water Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 RGB
M.2: Samsung 960Evo 256GB SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB
HDD: 2 x WD Barracuda 2TB

Thanks
Ad

Last edited:
Soldato
When overclocking you start small with the increases and slowly move up until you reach the maximum clock speed.

I suggest you start with what you have apart from increasing your core by +5 each run until you reach crashes and then work on memory +20 each run.

Use the Heaven benchmark for each test and eventually you will reach maximum speeds.

I'll say that looking at your post it looks like you might have a poor overclocker but the memory looks a bit high. Dial that down to +300 and concentrate on the core clock before going back to memory increases.

Soldato
It has a tendency to completely crash your system and remember nothing about the work it's already done.

On a 1080Ti desktop and 1060 based laptop, this has not happened once.

If it had the tendency to do this they would withdraw the feature yet is still in MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision.

Associate
I use 2 x 1080ti Aorus Xtremes and neither of them are worth overclocking, such little gains and getting them stable is ridiculous compared to anything I have had in the past. Good cards but SLI is crap, not worth upgrading yet though as I have zero interest in RTX.

Soldato
On a 1080Ti desktop and 1060 based laptop, this has not happened once.

If it had the tendency to do this they would withdraw the feature yet is still in MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision.
Well it happened to me and a couple of others that I know. I can only go off my own experience

Soldato
I get +100 core on both my 1080Ti's but they are Strix cards which are seen as the best 1080Ti's. One boost to 2000Mhz the other 1974Mhz.

As stated best to start with core first only going up in 10Mhz increases, then memory. I'm not sure how much memory overlook really improves things.

Back
Top Bottom