Aorus/Gigabyte X570 - Buildzoid Ripple tests with AORUS & ASUS

Soldato
OP
Why is the vrm even more beefy than the 9900k motherboards? AMD keeps saying 105w for 3900x, so motherboard manufacturers build it for 300w+ I’m confused

TDP isn't quite what Vendors state it is.
Intel is the worst ! Their 9900k TDP is stated at BASE clock speed , let alone boost of overclock.
AMD is at Single Core Boost - least they actually state TDP for boost speeds but this isn't all cores running at their best by default .
Overclock all 16 cores... Your power will run high !

A lot of people think with node shrinks, power drops by double meaning if you overclock it, should still draw half the power, this is wrong, once you start pushing overclocks, power jumps greatly !

These boards are designed to handle AVX loads at 24/7 .
If you want gaming, Gigabyte Gaming X

Soldato
So the Extreme gets away without a pch fan by running a heat pipe from the pch into the vrm heatsink?

Why didn’t all the boards do this

Soldato
OP
So the Extreme gets away without a pch fan by running a heat pipe from the pch into the vrm heatsink?

Why didn’t all the boards do this

most use a solid block of aluminum and call it a heat sink.

also, have you not seen the Xtreme z390... the heatsink is also linked to the back plate to

also with a heatpipe, more to replace and costs etc if anything go wrong

Associate
The master looks like a terrible design, obstructing the fan like that is going to result in a lot of turbulence noise.

Soldato
OP
The master looks like a terrible design, obstructing the fan like that is going to result in a lot of turbulence noise.

Like MSI and Asus, fan doesn't need to come on until your doing nvme stuff with PCIe 4.0 units

Most likely we'll see ekwb blessing the gods they can make full mobo blocks again, though most likely using heatpipe from watercooled VRM to Chipset as gap is too small

Associate
$800 apparently for the most expensive SKU. That's obscene.

Why is the vrm even more beefy than the 9900k motherboards? AMD keeps saying 105w for 3900x, so motherboard manufacturers build it for 300w+ I’m confused

Because you don't buy these mobos to run the CPU at stock, do you? Rumours of some pretty heady OCs on Zen 2 ... be interesting to see just how high they are.

Soldato
OP
$800 apparently for the most expensive SKU. That's obscene.

Because you don't buy these mobos to run the CPU at stock, do you? Rumours of some pretty heady OCs on Zen 2 ... be interesting to see just how high they are.

seems 16 core version is at 4.3/4 max OC and would have to use 360 CLC unit . fact that its got 15% IPC increase over Ryzen/thread ripper and able to take faster ram give it the nice performance increase!

Will the Aorus ITX be available in the first shipment of boards ?.

no idea , @GIGA-Man or @Gibbo would be the only ones to indicate what is coming, where and how many units

recap on x470 Aorus 7 - current owners will be happy. Main difference is new IR units that run cooler and cleaner power delivery , specially if your slapping in a 16 core CPU!

Last edited:
Associate
Like MSI and Asus, fan doesn't need to come on until your doing nvme stuff with PCIe 4.0 units

Most likely we'll see ekwb blessing the gods they can make full mobo blocks again, though most likely using heatpipe from watercooled VRM to Chipset as gap is too small

It's still bonkers to fit a fan and then deliberately restrict the airflow to it.

Associate
It's not really the fan I'm criticising (although I'd prefer a passive design, it costs more). I'm taking issue with the incredibly restrictive cover they have fitted over the top of it on the master board. Seems very much as if they've prioritised how the board looks over how it functions. The fans in the cheaper boards will be quieter and probably perform better because they don't have metal slats impeding the airflow.

Soldato
OP
It's not really the fan I'm criticising (although I'd prefer a passive design, it costs more). I'm taking issue with the incredibly restrictive cover they have fitted over the top of it on the master board. Seems very much as if they've prioritised how the board looks over how it functions. The fans in the cheaper boards will be quieter and probably perform better because they don't have metal slats impeding the airflow.

depends on the fans used, can already see aorus pro and elite use different designed fans . to be honest, these things wont be heard in a standard PC

Associate
depends on the fans used, can already see aorus pro and elite use different designed fans . to be honest, these things wont be heard in a standard PC

That's what I'm hoping... I'll go with a 4.0 NVMe in the cpu-controlled slot. 1 of the chipset slots will take my WD Black and I'll probably pick up a cheap 1tb pcie 3.0 come Black Friday if storage is looking tight for games.

Associate
seems 16 core version is at 4.3/4 max OC and would have to use 360 CLC unit . fact that its got 15% IPC increase over Ryzen/thread ripper and able to take faster ram give it the nice performance increase!

There's very little reason to think that it would be so low, given the boost clocks revealed on the products so far. The general expectation and buzz is that these will do quite a bit more all core OC than the quoted boost, given sufficient cooling and decent mobo / PSU. How much higher, we don't know.

Why would the halo product clock so much lower? Certainly not the case on big TR4 chips, with adequate cooling - save the 32 core which can be quite difficult to cool at higher clocks (for obvious reasons).

4.3/4 would mean it was beaten in clocks by some of the better Zen+ 16 core samples. A few people are getting those to 4.4Ghz.

I think decent water cooling will be absolutely mandatory to get both the 12 and 16 core (if the 16 core is ever actually launched) to higher clocks though. 7nm is so dense, and seems to respond well to reductions in temperature, as shown by R VII.

Soldato
Because you don't buy these mobos to run the CPU at stock, do you? Rumours of some pretty heady OCs on Zen 2 ... be interesting to see just how high they are.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hope so 5ghz please. On the other side it could be that the clocks we saw were single core boost and the other cores are several hundred mhz lower - that would explain why doing an all core overclock on a 3900x would be a massive clock speed boost and then the TDP would go through the roof.

I'm not worried at all about tdp - I just hope this is a good sign that these ryzen 2 chips can do big overclocks

Last edited:
Soldato
The only reason to buy one of the boards with a stupid overkill VRM is if you plan on pushing your CPU via overclocking. That begs the question about how efficient or inefficient the CPU's are once you get past a certain voltage, it may be that they will easily run at 5GHz overclocked but you need to push nearly 2-3x the power to achieve that with stability, which is where the VRM comes into play. It could also be that the up coming 16 core CPU(s) will need a base 135w+ and maybe they'll be introducing a high power version like a 'black' edition which could be 200w+.

We'll need to wait until the CPU's are in our hands to test it, rather than just guessing, and buying a daft board that you might never use. :)

Soldato
OP
@Journey

Why I recommend Gigabytes UD z390 for intel, Enough for gaming and overclock whilst gaming.

X570 Gaming X will be the same and recommended .

Pushing video work , professional then would push Aorus, more so for connectivity
AVX workloads are what those flagship are for and running workloads 24/7 .

Looking forward to seeing how 16 core Ryzen works with Geomapping along with nvme PCIe 4.0

Question is, anyone got an AX router ? Guessing it'll be a year or two before BT uses it on theirs and likewise with Virgin

So like intel counterparts, Ultra looks exactly the same, but VRM and RGB is slightly different also minor changes to audio and 8+4 pin instead of 8+8

Back
Top Bottom