• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Aorus Master / Extreme (3080+3090) Thread

Associate
just got an update..and it said its being shiped...i went from 12 in the queu last week to being shipped today.

Last edited:
Associate
For all those considering tweaking their VBIOS with one of a different 3090 (or 3080) allowing for an increased power limit:

I have an Aorus Xtreme 3090 (1860MHz, 450W) and during the last days tried several different VBIOS because I hoped that lifting the 450W power cap would get me some real word gains - even if they were small. For example, even if that may sound pathetic, one or two additional FPS in MS Flight Simulator in VR mode would certainly be something to make me happy. However, the parameter window between the cards' limitations due to power, voltages and thermals is so narrow that the results are rather of academic value than in terms of FPS or frametime gains. Below are some caveats you should consider before flashing a different VBIOS. Make sure you keep at least one stock VBIOS on your card for safety reasons, in my case I flashed the new VBIOS to the silent VBIOS slot.

As a side note, my Aorus Xtreme is running in an extremely well ventilated case outside my living room where fan noise does not matter, so during stress testing with stock 450W power cap the GPU core temperature will rarely exceed 60C. I've tested the following VBIOS: ROG Strix OC 480W, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 500W, EVGA Kingpin 520W.

1. Display connectivity: Not all cards have the same DP/HDMI port layout. With the Strix VBIOS this worked fine (I did at least have 2 DP ports functional), but all EVGA VBIOS I tried will only give me one DP and one HDMI port working.

2. Fan configuration: Please keep in mind that different cards have different fan types and layouts! This may in the worst case stop one or more fans from spinning at all! Per default, the Aorus Xtreme will have one or two fans spinning at 3200rpm and the other two or one at 2600rpm max. With the Strix VBIOS all was fine and I even got 3200rpm on all fans (whether this is good in the long term or not). However, the Kingpin VBIOS (which is a card with an AIO AFAIK) for example will leave me with one fan at 3200 and two at 2000rpm only. This does make a huge difference in thermals for me.

3. Voltage characteristics: The different VBIOS voltage-clock curves correspond to differently binned GPU chips, cooling capabilities etc. That being said, the EVGA FTW3 Ultra for example has a default clock of 1800MHz in contrast to the Aorus Xtreme with 1860MHz. Tuning my card running on the EVGA FTW3 Ultra VBIOS by using the clock slider or the curve scanning function will result in significantly higher GPU core voltages than necessary for the same clock with the stock VBIOS. Interestingly, even by tuning the curve I did not get rid of this - the card will saturate somewhere at 1.075..1.081V where the stock VBIOS will settle at around 1.03..1.04V at the same clock. As a result, the cards limits due to voltage caps (Vrel/Vop) instead of power caps and no extra performance is gained. The Strix 480W VBIOS is working better in terms of voltages, but the extra 30W would not get me any gains either. With the 520W kingpin VBIOS on the other hand, I would get decently high clocks at reasonable voltages. But due to the different fan layout with two fans spinning at 2000rpm only, I will hit thermal limitations sooner or later. At the same voltages and clocks, that VBIOS will make my GPU core run roughly 10..15C hotter under load. So yeah, this makes the card draw more than 450W, but this appears mainly due to the increased temperature.

So in the end I did see the card hit shy of 530W with the alternate VBIOS, however, this occured only in synthetic benchmarks. In games, I would only see it max out at around 460W which is only 10W more than stock. I've spent roughly two days with this tweaking and have meanwhile reverted back to stock because the other VBIOS will not give me any significant real world gains. Instead, they will just shift the reason for the cards integrated performance capping from power to voltage or thermals. To fully exploit this field, hardware modifications in terms of improved cooling etc. will be necessary.

Happy tweakin and don't forget to enjoy the sheer power of your cards! ;)
r.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone had a queue position update recently? Haven't received one this week or last week, was in position 14 two weeks ago and but nothing since...

Soldato
I decided to repaste and replace the thermal pads on my 3080 Xtreme, help bring the temps down so I can reduce the noise level. The pads that come with it are awful, squishy and oily. There's also no pads on the back of the VRAM, between the PCB and the backplate.

I used TG Kryonaut and Thermalright Extreme pads. I replaced all the pads as well as adding additional pads on the back of the PCB to cover the VRAM and so on. My GPU die temps are the same, but the average clock speed after 20 runs of Timespy Extreme was 300MHz higher. The VRAM though, it took 24c off! While mining ETH, it's knocked 40c off. I assume the greater drop for mining is due to the GPU not being used, so there's lower ambient and heatsink temps.

Insane.

Associate
For all those considering tweaking their VBIOS with one of a different 3090 (or 3080) allowing for an increased power limit:

I have an Aorus Xtreme 3090 (1860MHz, 450W) and during the last days tried several different VBIOS because I hoped that lifting the 450W power cap would get me some real word gains - even if they were small. For example, even if that may sound pathetic, one or two additional FPS in MS Flight Simulator in VR mode would certainly be something to make me happy. However, the parameter window between the cards' limitations due to power, voltages and thermals is so narrow that the results are rather of academic value than in terms of FPS or frametime gains. Below are some caveats you should consider before flashing a different VBIOS. Make sure you keep at least one stock VBIOS on your card for safety reasons, in my case I flashed the new VBIOS to the silent VBIOS slot.

As a side note, my Aorus Xtreme is running in an extremely well ventilated case outside my living room where fan noise does not matter, so during stress testing with stock 450W power cap the GPU core temperature will rarely exceed 60C. I've tested the following VBIOS: ROG Strix OC 480W, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 500W, EVGA Kingpin 520W.

1. Display connectivity: Not all cards have the same DP/HDMI port layout. With the Strix VBIOS this worked fine (I did at least have 2 DP ports functional), but all EVGA VBIOS I tried will only give me one DP and one HDMI port working.

2. Fan configuration: Please keep in mind that different cards have different fan types and layouts! This may in the worst case stop one or more fans from spinning at all! Per default, the Aorus Xtreme will have one or two fans spinning at 3200rpm and the other two or one at 2600rpm max. With the Strix VBIOS all was fine and I even got 3200rpm on all fans (whether this is good in the long term or not). However, the Kingpin VBIOS (which is a card with an AIO AFAIK) for example will leave me with one fan at 3200 and two at 2000rpm only. This does make a huge difference in thermals for me.

3. Voltage characteristics: The different VBIOS voltage-clock curves correspond to differently binned GPU chips, cooling capabilities etc. That being said, the EVGA FTW3 Ultra for example has a default clock of 1800MHz in contrast to the Aorus Xtreme with 1860MHz. Tuning my card running on the EVGA FTW3 Ultra VBIOS by using the clock slider or the curve scanning function will result in significantly higher GPU core voltages than necessary for the same clock with the stock VBIOS. Interestingly, even by tuning the curve I did not get rid of this - the card will saturate somewhere at 1.075..1.081V where the stock VBIOS will settle at around 1.03..1.04V at the same clock. As a result, the cards limits due to voltage caps (Vrel/Vop) instead of power caps and no extra performance is gained. The Strix 480W VBIOS is working better in terms of voltages, but the extra 30W would not get me any gains either. With the 520W kingpin VBIOS on the other hand, I would get decently high clocks at reasonable voltages. But due to the different fan layout with two fans spinning at 2000rpm only, I will hit thermal limitations sooner or later. At the same voltages and clocks, that VBIOS will make my GPU core run roughly 10..15C hotter under load. So yeah, this makes the card draw more than 450W, but this appears mainly due to the increased temperature.

So in the end I did see the card hit shy of 530W with the alternate VBIOS, however, this occured only in synthetic benchmarks. In games, I would only see it max out at around 460W which is only 10W more than stock. I've spent roughly two days with this tweaking and have meanwhile reverted back to stock because the other VBIOS will not give me any significant real world gains. Instead, they will just shift the reason for the cards integrated performance capping from power to voltage or thermals. To fully exploit this field, hardware modifications in terms of improved cooling etc. will be necessary.

Happy tweakin and don't forget to enjoy the sheer power of your cards! ;)
r.
I must commend you for all the effort in trying to squeeze every last FPS from your card.

You talk of running fans at 3200rpm? That must be extremely loud? (I know I find my FE card loud as soon as the fans get past 1500. )

Associate
I decided to repaste and replace the thermal pads on my 3080 Xtreme, help bring the temps down so I can reduce the noise level. The pads that come with it are awful, squishy and oily. There's also no pads on the back of the VRAM, between the PCB and the backplate.

I used TG Kryonaut and Thermalright Extreme pads. I replaced all the pads as well as adding additional pads on the back of the PCB to cover the VRAM and so on. My GPU die temps are the same, but the average clock speed after 20 runs of Timespy Extreme was 300MHz higher. The VRAM though, it took 24c off! While mining ETH, it's knocked 40c off. I assume the greater drop for mining is due to the GPU not being used, so there's lower ambient and heatsink temps.

Insane.

I don't suppose you have pictures of where you replaced/added, I haven't taken my apart yet as contemplating a waterblock.
Thanks

Soldato
I don't suppose you have pictures of where you replaced/added, I haven't taken my apart yet as contemplating a waterblock.
Thanks

I don't, but it's pretty straight forward. On the heatsink, I replaced all the thermal pads with ones of the exact same size and location. For the rear, I did the same, but just added extra where the VRAM is. You'll need 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm and 2.5mm if you want to do it perfectly. You might make do with less, but people that went too fat in places had issues where the heatsink wasn't making contact as well.

For what sizes go where, I used the post on this forum: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...t-for-replacing-current-rtx3080-ones.1298183/

For the VRAMs on the rear, it's 2.5mm.

Associate
Proud owner of the Aorus 3080ti Master :) need some advice on temp control. What is best to use either the Aorus Engine or MSI afterburner? or any other temp management that you can think of. My temps at idle are around 38-45c and when on full load i get around 68-78c I have the Thermaltake Core P5 open case so no other fans are needed. Is this the normal temps for this type of card?
Thanks in advance.

Associate
Proud owner of the Aorus 3080ti Master :) need some advice on temp control. What is best to use either the Aorus Engine or MSI afterburner? or any other temp management that you can think of. My temps at idle are around 38-45c and when on full load i get around 68-78c I have the Thermaltake Core P5 open case so no other fans are needed. Is this the normal temps for this type of card?
Thanks in advance.

Download HWiNFO and check your VRM temperatures. The core temps on the 3000 series stay fairly cool but the memory can run a fair bit hotter... the card will thermal throttle when the memory hits 110C but ideally you want to keep your memory temps some 20C lower than this for longevity.

Associate
Thanks in advance.

Replace the stock thermal pads as per other threads on here is the best thing you can do for thermal management on Gigabyte cards.

Soldato
Is it possible download RGB Fusion, then disable all RGB and turn off LCD screen and then delete anything RGB Fusion? Will all settings be kept and work on the next reboot or does the card need RGB Fusion to start at each window startup /run in the background to keep these settings?

Soldato
Is it possible download RGB Fusion, then disable all RGB and turn off LCD screen and then delete anything RGB Fusion? Will all settings be kept and work on the next reboot or does the card need RGB Fusion to start at each window startup /run in the background to keep these settings?

Depends if the gpu has a memory chip onboard to store the rgb settings - there is only one way to find out (test it)

if it doesn't work, just remove the shroud from the gpu and disconnect the rgb cable = no more rgb

Soldato

Depends if the gpu has a memory chip onboard to store the rgb settings - there is only one way to find out (test it)

if it doesn't work, just remove the shroud from the gpu and disconnect the rgb cable = no more rgb

Very happy to report back that it does indeed work. Downloaded RGB Fusion 2.0, turned everything off including the screen and then uninstalled RGB Fusion and LCD Panel software, rebooted PC and everything is still off.

EDIT: After several reboots the lcd is on but black, so probably would need to keep lcd panel software.

EDIT2: seems like LCD bugs out in any case, with or without software, it is black back backlit constantly. Better to just disconnect it as Grim5 suggested but I do not know how.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey so wanted some advice, redid the pads on my 3080 master as mining temps were entering the uncomfortable level.
Used gelid extreme 2mm on the vram and a mix of 1 and 1.5 on the rest, didn’t do the back side
Mining now I’m getting 102 mhs at 74c vram and 45 core at 90% fans.
Gaming seemed fine,
Updated hwinfo and now a wild “ hot spot temp has appeared”
I’m getting a delta of up to 19c between the two which can hit low 90swhile gaming
Is that ok?
Have I not applied paste properly?
Have I missed a sensor somewhere?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom