Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
Thanks for the feedback and interaction, it's hugely appreciated and really does differentiate aorus as an enthusiast/premium product.

The other forum is the gigabyte sub forum on notebookreview. It's easy to find for others who are interested.

I repasted the cpu/gpu using IC Diamond 7 carat paste. I bought it on eBay in the UK. It had a very marked reduction in temps, in the order of 5-10c under gaming load. For example, the cpu used to regularly hit 99c in Diablo3, and post repaste it generally caps out around low 90s (this is all using the max fan profile of course).

The inability to use the precise thickness of thermal pads on the ancillary chips is a bummer and a bit of a limiter on repasting.

I'd be really interested if your thermal team saw similar results. IC Diamond is widely recognised as a top thermal paste, and I'd say it warrant using in a premium brand like aorus. Any chance you could report back? Remember, it's not just the paste, but the skill of the repaster, but I expect your guys to obviously be pros at repasting!
P.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the clarification. I have repasted plenty of CPUs and graphics cards in the past but I am too nervous to attempt it with my laptop at the moment because:
a. it costs nearly ten times as much to replace it if I mess up
b. it is still too new and shiny.
Maybe some point in the future...

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thanks for the feedback and interaction, it's hugely appreciated and really does differentiate aorus as an enthusiast/premium product.

The other forum is the gigabyte sub forum on notebookreview. It's easy to find for others who are interested.

I repasted the cpu/gpu using IC Diamond 7 carat paste. I bought it on eBay in the UK. It had a very marked reduction in temps, in the order of 5-10c under gaming load. For example, the cpu used to regularly hit 99c in Diablo3, and post repaste it generally caps out around low 90s (this is all using the max fan profile of course).

The inability to use the precise thickness of thermal pads on the ancillary chips is a bummer and a bit of a limiter on repasting.

I'd be really interested if your thermal team saw similar results. IC Diamond is widely recognised as a top thermal paste, and I'd say it warrant using in a premium brand like aorus. Any chance you could report back? Remember, it's not just the paste, but the skill of the repaster, but I expect your guys to obviously be pros at repasting!
P.

Hi mrpetrov,

Thanks for the feedback on all subjects. We have forwarded this to R&D and will compare products and results. Of course we will let you know the outcome,,,,

Lets hope its a positive one and something we change as a direct result of the input from OcUK forums :)

We value your input a great deal.

Thanks,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thanks for the clarification. I have repasted plenty of CPUs and graphics cards in the past but I am too nervous to attempt it with my laptop at the moment because:
a. it costs nearly ten times as much to replace it if I mess up
b. it is still too new and shiny.
Maybe some point in the future...

Hi chuffbaby,

understand entirely,,,,

Perhaps meet up with mrpetrov as I think he has already done this successfully !

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Because of the unforeseen delay with the delivery of our initial launch stock of AORUS X5, and by way of thanks to those who have already placed pre-orders....

We will send each customer an AORUS HOODIE and also a 64GB AORUS usb memory stick.

WE WILL ALSO SHIP THESE 2 ITEMS TO ALL CUSTOMERS PLACING ORDERS BEFORE THE STOCK ARRIVES.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/LP/aorus-x5.php

jSYMsje.jpg bG83Pnd.jpg 7noReqkm.jpg

Sorry for the delay and we trust this helps to increase the eager anticipation!

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
I was about to order the X5 but the delay may be a bit long for me, i now have the X7 with dual gtx970m at the top of my list, the only concern is the noise from the fans everyone is talking about.

Is it really that bad?

Associate
A Question for Atom80, should I be concerned that my week old Aorus X7 Pro G-Sync is showing a 4% wear on its battery after one week?

Associate
Can someone confirm if the Aorus backpack give away is from Gigabyte, I ask because there is another E-tailer selling the X7 SLI gtx 970 g-sync laptop for the same price as OCUK but they are giving the backpack free with it?

They are also giving it away with the sli 880 as well, same as OcUK.

Associate
Can someone confirm if the Aorus backpack give away is from Gigabyte, I ask because there is another E-tailer selling the X7 SLI gtx 970 g-sync laptop for the same price as OCUK but they are giving the backpack free with it?

Its OK I saw a banner where it said all X3 and X7 laptops are included.

Associate
Hi there, does anyone have any recommendations for a good laptop cooler to keep my X7 nice and cool?

Do you have this machine already? I have not found a need for it over the last eight months, even occasionally using the laptop on my lap. Just make sure nothing is obstructing the air intakes at the rear of the sides.

Associate
I was about to order the X5 but the delay may be a bit long for me, i now have the X7 with dual gtx970m at the top of my list, the only concern is the noise from the fans everyone is talking about.

Is it really that bad?

The laptop is silent in normal (non-gaming) use. When gaming the fans are high-oitched and fairly loud. If it is an action game with a loud sound-track it is workable, but if you are playing RPG/strategy it will interfere with the dialogue. You could always use headphones.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Hi Voicon,

The promotion is funded by us yes, and is supposed to be on the last generation of AORUS products, anything with "V2" in the part number...

Sometimes difficult for us to "control" and re-sellers can buy the rucksacks from distribution and make a bundle themselves if they want to.,, ie do the added value part funded by themselves.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
A Question for Atom80, should I be concerned that my week old Aorus X7 Pro G-Sync is showing a 4% wear on its battery after one week?

Hi ADE70,

We will request feedback from R&D to clarify - logic would say there would be some wear from its 100% brand spanking new position, but as to what would be expected after 1 week we would need to check this for you.

Please continue to monitor and let us know.

Regards

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Hi ADE70,

Could you please post a "screen shot" of the readings you are seeing and what "tool" you are using to get this measurement.

Thanks,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Atom80, can't see how to post a screen shot, but would happily email you the image. I have been using CPUID HWMonitor & BatterCare (BatteryCare.Net) to monitor laptops stats.

Over the weekend I did a search and read various sites/forums where it recommended that battery calibration is carried out (i.e. let the laptop power down to 5% and go into hibernation, leave for 5 hours and then fully charge). This restored 1% back taking my current wear rate (back down to 3%).

I agree that some wear is acceptable but I was concerned that a drop of 4% in one week was projecting a rapid wear and loss of battery.

Any advise is welcome and also some guidance on charging cycles to minimise the wear rate?

Back
Top Bottom