Apache's in push/pull - Problem with using PWM?

Caporegime
good result mate, thats what i like about the wee pwm splitter cable, let the software cope with the fans on the cooler (the most important part) i used to run 5 sharkoon 2000 rpm fans of my fan controller, 2 on the cooler, 2 intakes and 1 exhaust, i always forgot to turn them down, crikey they were loud lol, cooling was amazing on my old 3.8ghz q6600, but 5 fans at that speed were pretty loud, and im partialy deaf from my other hobby, clay pigeon shooting:D

Soldato
Would all the fans have to be pwm? I've been told that I would only need one of the fans on the splitter to be pwm and that the splitter would ensure that all the fans would regulate with it as long as they were 3 wire? I'm not sure if that's the case, what do you guys think? I'm kind of leaning towards two gentle typhoons on the cooler and a pwm fan as an exhaust if it is correct.

Associate
OP
Would all the fans have to be pwm? I've been told that I would only need one of the fans on the splitter to be pwm and that the splitter would ensure that all the fans would regulate with it as long as they were 3 wire? I'm not sure if that's the case, what do you guys think? I'm kind of leaning towards two gentle typhoons on the cooler and a pwm fan as an exhaust if it is correct.

As I have very little technical ability - as mentioned in first post - I am probably not the best person to answer the question but here goes :

I believe that 3 pin fans will work with a four pin PWM splitter BUT I have my doubts wether all fans will be running at same speed and controlled via PWM from the motherboard.

If I'm wrong then would someone please correct me :):)

I understand that the typhoons are good fans (custom pc did recomend them in their recent fan review) but I do not think they are as good as the Apache's. For approx £12 more you could get 3 Apache and run 'em all PWM of the splitter- job done:D

Associate
My personal experience is that 3-pin runs off voltage not PWM.

I recently set up the Akasa splitter to run 2 apache case fans in my Antec p180 along with the Zalman 9500 cooler. The Zalman is 3-pin and it basically seems to run at max speed always, even when the case fans are changing speed on PWM. I've surmised this is because the 4th pin is the PWM pin and the power from the molex on the splitter is constantly at max.

The only way I can get it to turn down is by putting the fan controller between the splitter and the cooler. I then turned the controller down to minimum and left the case fans on PWM, because the cpu fan is loud and the case fans aren't, and the apaches spinning up to 100% - combined with the cpu fan running low- seem to provide sufficient cooling at full load.

I didn't even realise 3 pin fan connectors existed when I bought the things, I believed they were all 4; but I seem to have found an acceptable solution.

Back
Top Bottom