APC Back-UPS Pro on a server

Soldato
Ok so I bought an APC Back-UPS Pro 650VA last week (model BR650MI).

This was to be used to protect my personal home server but I've now realised there's a problem.

My server is running Windows Server 2016 and the Powerchute Personal edition that comes with this unit won't install on that OS.

From what I understand the Powerchute Business edition wouldn't work as it's not designed for Back-UPS models.

Firstly, is my supposition about the business edition software correct and is there any way around this?

Secondly, I've read that the older 3.0.2 version of Powerchute Personal will install on Server 2016 (I tried it and it seems to but wants a UPS to connect to before it will complete install). The question is will this support my UPS model?

If you're wondering why I don't just try it, the UPS is still sealed in its box and hasn't been opened yet. I obviously don't want to do so because, if I can't get it working, I'll be returning it unopened under the DSR (or whatever it's called these days).

Thanks.

Soldato
Unless that UPS (or Windows Server) differs from normal, it should still be able to communicate certain things like battery charge level to Windows with standard HID drivers built into Windows.
So that could be used to automate hibernation/shutdown with certain remaining battery charge.

Pretty sure APC could tell best if that older Powerchute Personal works.

Back
Top Bottom