Apocalypse Now

Soldato
Eek. I tried convincing the girlfriend but was knocked back pretty sharpish. She struggles to stay awake for an episode of Eastenders so 3 hours plus will be difficult. I'll have to watch another time :(

Watch it by yourself mate, no point having 'her indoors' asking questions all the way through. :p

Soldato
The original is very much worth a look if you want to watch it as a movie. Redux is more of a complete film. The French Plantation scene adds a lot more to the actual story & makes it more of a complete film but that & the other re-additions make it very long & you have to commit to paying attention.

Don
Redux

Watch it with a coal fire in the room, with 6 cans of stella for the desired effect

You zone in and out of concentration, keeps you in sync with the film :D

Soldato
I love war movies but I watched the Redux version as my first watch of Apocalypse now, and for me it was far to drawn out in places. Found myself bored and falling a sleep watching it.

Soldato
If there was one thing that disappointed me about the film, it was how much the 'I love the smell of napalm in the morning' quote, lost from the way I always imagined it to be.

Always imagined it to be a great statement, but in reality, it was barely a throwaway.

Soldato
Always imagined it to be a great statement, but in reality, it was barely a throwaway.
That might've been the way it was delivered but the statement itself was important. He's talking about napalming an entire tree line for nothing, he gets some kind of satisfaction out of reminiscing about mindless destruction. Isn't that a statement about the futility of that war?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you haven't seen Platoon, do so, and ignore this nonsensical psychological waste of time.

Depends what you're into.

Platoon is a typical Vietnam War film.

As jp_bl_68 said, AN is a psychological thriller set during the Vietnam War.

It's actually based on a book called The Heart of Darkness which was set in Africa during the time of the slave trade.

Coppola was using the basic story of The Heart of Darkness as a metaphorical device to present the futility of the Vietnam War rather than trying to make a typical gung-ho war film.

Platoon is fine if you want explosions over substance, AN Redux is the thinking man's Vietnam War film. Different strokes and all that. :)

Man of Honour
Deer Hunter and Southern Comfort are excellent films.

Apoc. Now is overhyped trash. It's worse than Scarface, if that is possible.

Quality cinema is exactly what I want. Not drab, dour, boring, unnecessarily 'psychological' (ie, nothing happens and you have to imagine the story) arty rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom