Apple Airport Extreme

Soldato
I am thinking of getting a Airport extreme so I get Wireless N and share my printer and HD.. Is it a good kit will it work well with my 5 years old Netgear Router?

Man of Honour
It's very good in my opinion, reliable and solid connection. Has it's quirks - I'm not wild about rebooting it to make fairly minor changes to the configuration but I don't change it often enough to really annoy me and for me the alternative would be a Cisco access point of some kind.

Should work with any old router, I use mine with a Juniper SSG firewall so I can't really comment about home routers.

Commissario
It works well but I found the best way to configure it with my existing ADSL setup was to buy and use a specific ADSL modem rather then my old router.

Have a quick look at this thread and see what I went through!

I found the wireless performance of the Airport Extreme to be somewhat better than the Linksys it replaced.

Soldato
Thanks and do you get Better speed from it rather than the linksys?

How would I get it to set up to use aiport as the wifi and not the netgear

I have the old airport without dual radios, i have the airport set at 5ghz for my macbook and the linksys dishing out 2.4ghz connections for the little ones netbook and my iphone :)

The airport is in bridge mode i think.

Soldato
Hmm interesting read Feek. Been looking at both the Airport Extreme and the Express.

Looks like a great device. Not to steal the thread or anything put say, I already have a netgear router. Would this plug into an ethernet port on the router or would it need direct access to the phone line.

Sorry to OP for not having much else but thought it would save me making another thread. :)

Soldato
I run a refurb AP Express off a Netgear DG834N and it's pretty flawless. Mind you, I only use it to stream music to my stereo amp (airtunes). I was nervous as hell when I first purchased it because it runs incredibly hot, and having it on 24/7 had me worried. It's been good though given that I've had it for just over a month.

Back
Top Bottom