apple app store and in app purchases query

Caporegime
Complete n00b re: this particular area, have seen a few press stories about some companies getting miffed re: Apple taking some 30% cut for purchases and some companies being threatened with removal from the app store but I was wondering if anyone could briefly clarify how they're applied?

I presume the fee is applied to purchases made via apple right?

So, for example, obviously something like the Amazon app or say some app used to trade stocks won't involve apple thinking they're entitled to a cut of the transaction, that would be ridiculous! The app in that case is used to access someone's account at say an existing brokerage service or access their amazon account etc.. and payments are processed there.

At the other end, there are obviously the mobile games etc.. and in that case, the service is simply the game running on the phone and the purchases are made via apple and of course, Apple takes it's 30% cut (or 15% for smaller developers).

But there seems to be some unease, disputes etc.. by some companies - does anyone know or can anyone give the general gist of where these things become a grey area? Where it isn't certain if apple will deem something to be bypassing its fee vs when they have no claim on it etc..

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I think it's fairly simple. If for instance you have a newstand app and are selling magazines to read in that app (IE, digital goods), you must use a proper in-app purchase as per Apples guidelines for which they'll take their cut. If your app is a just a front for your website selling a physical product (Very, Amazon etc) or a product you do not use on your phone then you don't need to go through Apple for the purchase.

I think the grey area, and one which was used a few years back, was allowing people to pay for a product on a separate website and redeem that via their account in the app, circumnavigating the App Store. I think that is technically still possible but you're not allowed to promote that within the app at all.

Back
Top Bottom