1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple hardware test indicates display error but the only issue i see is 1 dead pixel

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by sswats, 17 Apr 2018.

1. sswats

Wise Guy

I am looking to sell a 2013 Macbook pro 13, so was wiping it and giving it a check and i ran the Apple diagnostics and it returned the error
    "There may be an issue with the display
    Reference Code: VFD002."

I cant see anything wrong with the display with the exception of 1 dead pixel.

Apple support chat say that 1 dead pixel would trigger this error. I am a bit skeptical and don't want to mislead any buyer by conveying this information if its not true, but i also don't want to lose too much on it just because it has 1 dead pixel.

So opinions/advice?

2. pcfarrar

Wise Guy

It’s not the dead pixel that is generating the error it’s something else to do with the display.

3. sswats

Wise Guy

So ignore the Apple support agent?
    Anyway to diagnose what the issue is and hopefully either resolve it or at least know it will not deteriorate.

4. Valo

Mobster

Can you take it to an Apple Store?

5. pcfarrar

Wise Guy

It’s probably a logic board issue. Reset the SMC and PRAM first, hopefully it might clear the error.

6. sswats

Wise Guy

Tried SMC and PRAM, a Apple genius on another forum suggested reseating the video cable. But no luck.

Next step is to see if I'm bothered to take top the apple Store. I've repaired stuff with Apple before and its just too expensive so I would just be going to get a diagnosis.