Apple Music HiFi

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Btw this obviously won't work on wireless headphones because none of the AirPods line support lossless audio and Apple don't support the latest Bluetooth standard for non-Apple buds/IEMs/cans anyway (I don't think they're 100% uncompressed either), so you'll only get lossless and hi-res - which is marketing guff anyway - on wired earphones/headphones or if you're using Apple music with a wired speaker set-up.

To me is fine since I can't hear any difference between AAC 256kbps and ALAC in a blind volume-matched test and when I'm using my in-ears it's hardly a perfect listening environment anyway. At home with my speaker set-up it'll be nice psychologically more than anything as my streaming service will finally be the same quality, audible or otherwise as my old CD collection.

Soldato
Those ABX tests using Tidal came under scrutiny years ago on Head-Fi because it seemed like Tidal EQ'ed the lossy ones to make an audible difference. I've always used my own files for ABX testing for this reason.

Anyway, there's no proper lossless over any wireless headphones. Even Sony's proprietary LDAC bluetooth protocol, which has a higher bandwidth than anything else last time I checked isn't, so it's not like you can get this feature elsewhere either; it's one of the compromises of going wireless.

Soldato
No extra cost is happy days.

I don’t get why people are annoyed, the vast majority (myself included) can’t tell the difference - admittedly I don’t have super hi end stuff and am more than happy to use BT as it’s just easier and perfect for walking/running.

Associate
Why? As far as I’m aware most bought them with wireless connectivity and convenience in mind and that hasn’t changed.

Mine still sound fantastic.

I'd be pretty miffed myself they didn't build in the support for the higher fidelity when surely they had known they were releasing HiFi in upcoming months. If it was a few years down the line I'd understand but it's only months down the line.

Associate
Anyway, there's no proper lossless over any wireless headphones. Even Sony's proprietary LDAC bluetooth protocol, which has a higher bandwidth than anything else last time I checked isn't, so it's not like you can get this feature elsewhere either; it's one of the compromises of going wireless.
Yep I used to use the Sony 100xm3 with LDAC, I tried qobuz at the time, it wasn’t any better than any other music service when using Bluetooth.

I’m intrigued about atmos for music though, I’m not convinced I’ll like it but as others have said for no extra cost I may as well give it a go!

Caporegime
The atmos mixes on Tidal are superb on my Atmos surround system. Not sure you would notice much difference in headphones though.

With individual speakers positioned appropriately, the openness and instrument separation really is something else. You will still get audio nuts criticising it as "that's not how they intended the track to be heard."

Associate
The atmos mixes on Tidal are superb on my Atmos surround system. Not sure you would notice much difference in headphones though.

With individual speakers positioned appropriately, the openness and instrument separation really is something else. You will still get audio nuts criticising it as "that's not how they intended the track to be heard."
Ah good I’m hoping I can AirPlay the atmos tracks to my av receiver, if not I was planning on getting an Apple TV box soon anyway.

Associate
OP
I'd be pretty miffed myself they didn't build in the support for the higher fidelity when surely they had known they were releasing HiFi in upcoming months. If it was a few years down the line I'd understand but it's only months down the line.

Before yesterday, they still performed exactly as intended and still sound ridiculously good. I bought them for the convenience in regards to them syncing between all my devices and the perks like Spatial Audio, which still work today.

Like you should never buy something hoping they receive an update in the future in the event it never arrives. So my Max’s will get all that Spatial Audio/Atmos goodness. And I think Apple are banking on more people using/enjoying Spatial Audio than lossless.

I do concede that you would have thought that a conversation would have been had while the Max’s were in some sort of production to maybe include a DAC that would be compatible further down the line. Maybe this was a quick fix in line with Spotify’s announcement? Who knows.. ‍♂️

I’ll still get lossless via Airplay 2 which will be used on my Sonos gear and let’s be honest, unless you’re a true Audiophile, CD quality will be absolutely fine for everyone.

Soldato
CD quality is fine for everyone human, some audiophiles just get suckered into believing hi-res isn't just marketing guff (see here, here and so on), MQA is amazing when it's artificially coloured - the biggest thing by far has and will always be how good the recording and mastering is and how good the speaker/headphone is.

One of the only things that bugs me about streaming services is you don't often get a choice as to what version you get to listen to. Some albums have a master that was made just for the vinyl release that was way better as far as things like dynamic range than the standard one for the CD version. Some have crappy remasters that are brick-walled and you're stuck listening to them. Apple talk the talk that they care about this stuff though so *perhaps* we'll be served up the better quality versions where possible.

Soldato
I very much doubt I’d be able to tell the difference between lossless and good compressed audio in a direct A-B test on any equipment I would be willing to spend my own money on.

Soldato
Is ALAC like FLAC (if so, why not just stream FLAC???!!) or is it another smoke and mirrors type 'master' situation with MQA?

Back
Top Bottom