Apple Watch “between phones”

Soldato
So I’ve got an XS on order and my X will go to my friend.
If I wipe the X today, will my apple watch continue to store my activity data until my XS arrives on 21st?

How do I remove from X and then reassociate with the XS?

Soldato
Does the cellular Apple Watch need an iphone, or can any ios device enable it? I have an ipod/ipad.

All the Apple watches are expensive paperweights without an iPhone: the Watch app is iPhone only and is required to pair, set-up and update the device. You can only use the cellular feature if you're with a provider (EE or Vodaphone) who offers that particular paid bolt-on in addition to whatever you pay monthly for your phone.

Soldato
I'm guessing there's no real reason for the Apple Watch needing an iphone and not allowing android phones, other than apple being their usual selves.

Soldato
I'm guessing there's no real reason for the Apple Watch needing an iphone and not allowing android phones, other than apple being their usual selves.
I don't really understand what you are getting at? The watch is so tightly integrated into the OS trying to use it with a completely different OS boggles the mind....

No Apps
No Notifications
No Siri
No Health Intergration
No Apple Pay

Need i go on?

Have you tried using android ware on iOS? Might as well just have a normal watch....

Soldato
You might be giving the watch too much credit, it relies on the phone its paired to for almost everything.

It's tightly integrated into the OS and it really is just an extension of the phone with health tracking, apps run on the watch but all the data is pushed to it from your phone. All the health data it collects is pushed back to the phone and makes most sense when viewed from the phone app. The only input method is Siri voice commands, there is no app store or anything like that, that is all side loaded from the phone app.

LTE is only really any good for making or receiving phone calls, iMessage via Siri, maps (directions) and streaming music. It isn't designed to be a phone replacement, on LTE it only lasts about 3 hours doing a workout (GPS+LTE), 7 hours in standby, 1 hour phone call, 4-5 hours streaming music. When synced to the phone on Bluetooth it lasts 2-3 days.

Think of it as a really advanced fit bit that can make phone calls when away from its iPhone master but relies upon its iPhone master for almost everything else.

Associate
I think the encryption system applied between the phone and watch makes it difficult to port over to android as well.

Possibly a bit like how WhatsApp data can’t be easily transferred when moving between between iPhone and android phones due to the encryption methods being different on each platform.

Soldato
I believe what you need to do is:

Unpair watch from iPhone X.

Backup iPhone X (cloud and iTunes recommended)

Wipe iPhone X.

On iPhone Xs, restore backup, which should then also include Apple Watch backup.

You won’t be able to merge any activity captured on the watch between the X and Xs unless you pair the Apple Watch to another iPhone in the meantime and perform the above backup. Make sure all devices are running the same
OS version.

Back
Top Bottom