Appropriate response to second hand goods damaged in transport.

Soldato
Hey Folks so bought a PC second hand.

Case: Bitfenix Phenom m-ATX Case
Power Supply: FSP Raider 750W Power Supply (80 Plus Bronze)
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core (3.5GHz, 9MB Cache, overclockable 4.4GHz+, Hyperthreading) Socket 1150
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (check case)
Optimisation and Tuning: Wired2Fire Cable Management<br>Wired2Fire Tuning<br>Wired2Fire Overclocking (non-standard cooler required)
Graphics Card 1: Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card (30% Cooler, overclocked to 941MHz)
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 1866MHz C10 Dual Channel Memory Kit (2 x 8GB)
Motherboard: Asus Z87M-Plus Intel Z87 Motherboard
Hard Disk Drive One: Samsung 120GB 840 Evo Series SATA III 6Gb/s Solid-State Drive
Hard Disk Drive Two: Seagate 1TB Barracuda 64MB Cache SATA III Hard Disk Drive

For £400, I don't really want to discuss is this is a good or bad deal in this thread, that's certainly not the point.

My issue is, it was delivered reasonably quickly, and I signed for it because the box is fine. However upon unwrapping, it transpires the GTX 780 has broken free from the retaining clip on the mobo, and was wrattling about the place. Clip is ruined, and will not hold the card secure in place anymore.

I've put it back in, and everything works, except the PC is super finicky and if I move it, its guaranteed to dilodge and the PC throws a fit.

How do I react to the seller. I don't want to be a total ****, I don't want blood, I just want to act appropriately, i'm half thinking i'm just unlucky? Who's to blame, the courier, or the seller? Do I suck it up?

I wont move the PC often, but when I do (or maybe I knock it) and it falls out its a total pain in the ass....

:(

Soldato
OP
I'd say seller for not packaging it appropriately.
Right, but what do I go about asking for? How do I approach this.

Obviously there is a middle ground between:
Full Refund---- and ----Suck it up and see.

Is there a monetary value we can conclude?

The problem I see is it needs a new mobo I guess for that silly tiny retention bracket, but if I buy a new mobo, I'd obviously put something newer in which throws all the other components off....

As I said, maybe I'm being too easy going, but I'm half thinking just do the guy a favour, I'd hate to be in his position too....

Associate
Speak to the seller and explain how it arrived and see what he wants to do about it, hopefully he will be reasonably and offer a partial refund(for the motherboard)
If it turns out he wants to be unreasonable then demand your money back.

Associate
That happens quite a lot with the heavier cards, they break free of the retaining clip (usually break it completely). Frankly you're fortunate everything still works and the board, pci-e lane or card itself wasn't damaged.

The retainer clip being broken shouldn't really cause much issue as long as PC is stationary. Happened me several times and doesn't affect functionality.

If you're really concerned you could create a homemade brace to hold the GPU in place against the side window or similar but honestly once it's properly secured in the lane and the backplate is screwed in, it should be fine without that retainer clip.

For £400 that was a pretty good deal so I wouldn't be too worried, but doesn't hurt to see what he says.

Soldato
OP
If you're really concerned you could create a homemade brace to hold the GPU in place against the side window or similar but honestly once it's properly secured in the lane and the backplate is screwed in, it should be fine without that retainer clip.

For £400 that was a pretty good deal so I wouldn't be too worried, but doesn't hurt to see what he says.
Exactly I don't want to cause him trouble, because i'm happy with the deal.

I can't screw the backplate in however, because its got a crappy quick release thing, and not provision for screws, otherwise I would have made sure its just super tight.

Thanks guys I haven't looked properly and didn't even think that I could swap slots. My bad. That seems like a good solution. It's pretty cramped in there and didnt want to go disturbing things i case he blamed me for breaking it. But i'll deconstruct tonight and move it, and we should be good. Haven't checked the motherboard specs out, presumably performance is fine in the other slots re available lanes.

Associate
I assume the quick release thing was undone.
Take pictures.
Let the seller know and ask if the shipping had insurance.
We've sold a few things on auction sites and got money back when things get delivered broken. The courier will want pictures. Take pictures of the box it came in if that looks like it took an impact.

Associate
I bought a PC off Ebay before with an FX-9370 and the cooler case loose in transit, pulled out the CPU with the obvious result it was mashing pins against the socket then in transit also.

Arrived, I'd say a good third of the pins were bent but none broken. Told the seller, he gave me the go-ahead to try and fix it if I could.

Was pouring sweat for about an hour trying to slowly straighten up all the pins with tweezers, credit card, needles, etc. Total nightmare.

Amazingly got them all straightened and it worked fine in the end, told seller it was all good and not to worry, and he refunded me £50 for my troubles anyway!

Associate
Amazingly got them all straightened and it worked fine in the end, told seller it was all good and not to worry, and he refunded me £50 for my troubles anyway!

Wow that sounds like you had a really good seller. Its just a same it a loto with what type you get :/

As for the issue, I would message sell and explain. It really depends how far you want to take it if they don't care.

Soldato
OP
Spoke to him, he wasn't forthcoming with any money back, and im not pushing him either, swapped it round, and although the card now covers all the other sata ports i probably wont need them, so it'll do for now.

Shame, he said its his first ever sale, so i guess he's learned a valuable lesson, or hes lying to me. Either way, it'll do :)

Soldato
ive broken clips and had boards without them even in cases without the option to screw the bracket and never had issues even when moving the whole computer around, cards will always have flex in the socket, unless you treat it like a shaker then it shouldnt disconnect itself, my concern would be any damage to the running from all the motion given how couriers treat peoples stuff.

Associate
That's an excellent price for that hardware! I can see why you want to keep it.

You might be able to 3d print a replacement bracket, even better if someone has already modelled it for you.

Back
Top Bottom