Aqua Computer Aquaero Owners thread

Associate
I'm just in the process of setting up my first Aquero... and sadly I've hit my first problem. This is a bit of a "1%" problem [an extreme use case] so I already know I'm pushing the envelope a bit here. However, I'd be very grateful for feedback...

Also, I'm happy to provide a complete breakdown of my build (hint: 3 cooling circuits, 5 radiators, SLI, OC'd i9 7920, it's quite complex), but for now I think I can narrow the question down to:-

Has anyone any experience of linking pumps (I am using the AquaComputer D5 Next Pumps) using both Aquabus and USB at the same time? [More specifically, 2x pumps using Aquabus and 1x using USB - *not* connecting a pump using both USB and Aquabus at the same time].

Specifically, my system has 3 discrete cooling circuits and therefore 3 pumps, but it's only possible to connect 2 to the Aquero 6XT... So I'm wondering if it might be possible to leave one of them connected via USB and, if I do this, then will I still be able to "see" all 3 pumps on AquaSuite?

I called OcUK Tech support and quickly learned that this is more complex than anything they've tried... They recommended AquaComputer forums [no answers yet].

I also emailed Aquacomputer Tech support and though I've had a reply, what I'm getting back is "that won't work", as opposed to, "OK, understand what you're trying to achieve - here's how to set that up..."

Yup, this is all a bit mad. Yup, 3 pumps and 3 discrete circuits is overkill. But my environment is one where I'd like to keep system noise down to an absolute minimum, because the machine is going to be used on a lot of compute-intensive overnight/long-running compute tasks (basically using the GPU's as math accelerators) and I need it to be as quiet as possible. This is why I'm using a pair of CE560's and 8 Noctua fans for each GPU. I had a fantastic chat with Mike at Mayhems when I was buying all my coolant and bits and he reckons that I'll hardly need much fan assistance (with the amount of surface the radiators will give for radiant heat) so the ability to have the fans "just ticking over" has driven me to this.

All advice welcome.

Thank you in advance...

Soldato
Is your problem that you want to connect three aquabus devices to the Aquaero but don't have enough ports? Aquabus can be split with Y-connectors or daisy-chained if the device has a through port. You can also use a Splitty in Aquabus mode if I remember correctly. The one requirement is that each device must have a unique aquabus ID and that can be set when connected by USB.
As far as I can remember (not at a pc at the mo) Aquaero just treats pumps largely as fans and there are four channels so having three shouldn't be a problem - providing, of course, that you aren't using those channels for fan control already.
You should be able to mix aquabus and usb control but there are pros and cons each way. Aquabus is autonomous and will feed data to the Aquaero even if Windows goes belly-up or isn't running. USB will let you configure the devices and update firmware.
Does that help at all or have I missed the issue?

Soldato
Got one on order, the 6 LT, anyone have any decent user manual links? Last I toyed with one was over a decade ago.

EDIT: if you go to their site, the 6 takes you to the version 5 manual.

Last edited:
Soldato
Manual on their website is for both Aquaero 5 and 6. Checked the download and it does state both on the first page and was updated last month. There's not that much difference between 5 and 6 in terms of operation; just different power output per channel and PWM on more channels.
https://aquacomputer.de/handbuecher...loads/manuals/aquaero_5_aquaero_6_english.pdf

Thank you, I'll check it out today.

Also, I ordered a in line temp sensor to plug in as I'll be basing all my profiles on the water temp (with emergency based on core temps/gpu temps). I didn't get an Aquero temp sensor, some other major brand, 10k temp sensor but it's essentially the exact same. Fingers crossed it works.

Soldato
As long as it's the same scale (I think the Aquaero is 10k but cannot remember) it should work fine. Don't expect them to be super accurate; they're good to within about 3°C ish and none of them agree. If you have other modules, some of them have an in-built temp sensor - the Aqualis reservoir and the high-flow sensor for example.

Soldato
As long as it's the same scale (I think the Aquaero is 10k but cannot remember) it should work fine. Don't expect them to be super accurate; they're good to within about 3°C ish and none of them agree. If you have other modules, some of them have an in-built temp sensor - the Aqualis reservoir and the high-flow sensor for example.

Yea, they were never accurate when they were first a thing so I'm not surprised that's not changed. I just need it for average deltas to modulate the fans. I think it's standard that they are all 10k.

I've only gotten the 6LT and this temp sensor, the res of choice I've gone for COULD support one of their pumps but it would be an additional $250 on top just for an inbuilt temp and flow sensor, the latter not being very important. Got one of those little paddle flow meter things.

I'm excited to do a bunch of testing and to work out the best profiles, I've gone with 2x EK PE 360 rads running 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans, which will be idling at 500rpm, I imagine under full load they will all be ramped up to 1,000 rpm. I've got a 8700k delid, currently running at 4.8Ghz and running VERY cool, might keep it there as going to 5Ghz needs some serious extra vcore to be stable and bumps the temps up considerably but for very little realistic gain. So with that at 4.8 and the GPU having a semi decent OC on it. I'll have more than enough cooling to keep the silence up.

Soldato
Personally, I'd see if it'll go to 5 for the curiosity and boasting rights...but then I'd run it lower. The tiny performance gains vs the additional noise, heat and power cost is unlikely to be worth it. But that's just my opinion and I'm very biased towards silence as a priority.
I really like having one of Aqua Computer's pressure relief membranes on the top of my res (I believe others like Barrow and probably Phyobia also make them) as I found that as coolant temps climb, the pressure ramps up in a sealed system and I had trouble (many years back) with flow indicators cracking under the pressure and leaking and then eventually GPU blocks leaking around the seal. I need a PRM for my res fill level sensor bit I'd have one anyway for peace of mind. I could be overly paranoid or it could be just that I get comparatively large temperature deltas as I prioritise for silence - just my own particular 2 cents worth.

Soldato
Personally, I'd see if it'll go to 5 for the curiosity and boasting rights...but then I'd run it lower. The tiny performance gains vs the additional noise, heat and power cost is unlikely to be worth it. But that's just my opinion and I'm very biased towards silence as a priority.
I really like having one of Aqua Computer's pressure relief membranes on the top of my res (I believe others like Barrow and probably Phyobia also make them) as I found that as coolant temps climb, the pressure ramps up in a sealed system and I had trouble (many years back) with flow indicators cracking under the pressure and leaking and then eventually GPU blocks leaking around the seal. I need a PRM for my res fill level sensor bit I'd have one anyway for peace of mind. I could be overly paranoid or it could be just that I get comparatively large temperature deltas as I prioritise for silence - just my own particular 2 cents worth.

I'm in agreement on the OC, I'll try it out, see what temps I get after a few hours stressing both GPU and CPU, drop the clock down (GPU will stay OC'd) and run the same tests to get the average of both and see if it's worth it.

As for pressure release, in my opinion, it's really not needed, most components should be stable up to 2lb's of pressure, if they fail from typical heat expansion, RMA. I never once had an issue with it.

I'm at work (SF, USA, 1432 here) and my case just arrived... The Lian Li O11 D XL is bloody huge! I'll be picking it up tomorrow, I'm going to transition my PC into it for now until all the WC'ing parts turn up, I'm in 2 mins about buying some sound dampening pads as I can see the rear chamber being a bit... Noisy with the PSU and pump in there. But, that topic is for another thread, I don't want to bog this one down.

Soldato
An Aquaero will handle a single RGB LED. These work well as a power and status light.
A Farbwerk will handle four channels of RGB strip and can either run standalone or be controlled by an Aquaero.
There are some new devices out that can handle addressable RGB. I've not played with but I think the Quadro will handle a number of channels.

Soldato
Thanks for that! I'm curious though, I've got mine all setup, but I don't see where I would have gotten my license key or why I would need to license the product?
You need a license key to run the Aquasuite software. If there's a screen on your Aquaero, there's nothing stopping you setting it up and using it without the software installed if you wish. It's more convenient to set up and monitor via the software and it will do various things like control mini screens with the info or export the info to another system (useful if you have a server in a cupboard for example) that you can't do without it. You get a license key when you run the software and it detects the hardware for the first time. You get to use the software in perpetuity but you only get new versions while that key is current.

Soldato
You need a license key to run the Aquasuite software. If there's a screen on your Aquaero, there's nothing stopping you setting it up and using it without the software installed if you wish. It's more convenient to set up and monitor via the software and it will do various things like control mini screens with the info or export the info to another system (useful if you have a server in a cupboard for example) that you can't do without it. You get a license key when you run the software and it detects the hardware for the first time. You get to use the software in perpetuity but you only get new versions while that key is current.

Weird, it's all currently setup and has been running for a couple of weeks now. Log data, fan curves, sensors, etc, I've not had to put in a license key? Using the Aquero 6 LT.

Soldato
You won't. It's based on the (burned-in) serial number of the hardware. Each serial number has entitlement for a license. As long as you have a licensed item on the USB bus, it'll run. Add a new piece of hardware and you get an additional year or two's license (depends on which hardware). Or you can pay for another year's updates. If your license runs out, it'll carry on running (and legally), you just don't get any newer versions. You can see this in Aquasuite in the menu on the left under Aquasuite > Updates.

Soldato
You won't. It's based on the (burned-in) serial number of the hardware. Each serial number has entitlement for a license. As long as you have a licensed item on the USB bus, it'll run. Add a new piece of hardware and you get an additional year or two's license (depends on which hardware). Or you can pay for another year's updates. If your license runs out, it'll carry on running (and legally), you just don't get any newer versions. You can see this in Aquasuite in the menu on the left under Aquasuite > Updates.

Oh yea... 7/22/2021... The ****? So I'll have to shell out additional cost at that date to receive updates?

That's no beuno if true then, I shelled out enough for a glorified fan controller, is it awesome? Hell yea! But no way am I buying a yearly license for it.

Soldato
Only if you want the updated versions with possible new features they may have. If you just want to carry on running the last version you're entitled to at the point the license runs out, that's fine, you can run that as long as you like. If you do find you want/need the updates (maybe for a newer version of Windows in the future), it's something £8 for a year.

Soldato
Yea, that's a killer for me. Buying a premium product shouldn't come with a 'premium' on top. I intended to keep this for years to come, but I'm not going to throw in a subscription on something I've already shelled out a fair amount for. Huge no no.

Oh well, it was almost a perfect product.

Back
Top Bottom