• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Arctic Silver 5 & removal

Associate
I have some sub-standard thermal paste currently on my SI-120 (not fitted yet) and I want to remove the current thermal paste & use the Arctic Silver 5 (said to be the best).

What is the best things to use to completly remove the old stuff ready for the new? Will I need any special cloths?

Associate
If you are to use something to clean of the old thermal paste use cotton buds to apply the cleaning fluid. I use the Tim clean OCuk sell, applying some to a cotton bud then wipe the cpu with it, then use tissues to clean that off. Then start again til it is all cleaned. :)

Permabanned
You can use loads of things:

Paint stripper, nail varnish remover, petrol, barbecue fluid, white spirit etc.

Associate
OP
Would a tissue be a good idea though? Because surely a tissue could rip quite easily, leaving bits of tissue on the heatsink. Thinking about the safest stuff to use, what about this Arcticlean? I seen that on the products page and looks like the easiest stuff to use that removes all tracres of thermal compound

Soldato
Kitchen roll is better to use than toilet roll as it doesn't leave little bits behind. Haven't had any problems and I've been using kitchen roll to clean my CPUs for years.

Associate
OP
I will use strong kitchen roll like bounty then, just to be sure, and then cotton buds for the sensitive CPU carefully.

Would Arcticlean be a good thing to use? Looks like it protects the heatsink in some way after its been cleaned as well from what I can see?

Associate
OP
Looks like there are several cleaners. Although it looks like IPA or Arcticlean. Even though nobody has mentioned the latter, is that stuff any good? It looks good from what it says on here, does anyone agree with it?

Back
Top Bottom