Are all electrical retail store advisors this annoying?

Associate
OP
i have a perfectly fine IQ, thank you and like i said i don't tend to buy a lot of stuff from them, but if needs must and i had to get something there and then i might get it there, Would i go there to get something fixed by their 'tech guys' no i wouldn't. I was only there to get a laptop for my parents there and then but due to the service and the things said by the advisor, i thought i would post it up, my only pity is people like Fox who tend to assume things just by was written down on here and ok maybe it wasn't the best place to buy, but there is no need to try to insult me on here.:mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, whilst I agree with you about insurance, I had to have my Apple laptop repaired the other day. My work paid for Applecare extension. The repair bill was just shy of £1000. It's made me think again! :D

exactly, to just look at a broken camera, it's usually £60 then whatever needs replacing, usually around the £100 mark for screens/lenses etc, instead of £25 for insurance, most just sulk and end up buying a new camera and then buying the insurance ;)

Soldato
i have a perfectly fine IQ, thank you and like i said i don't tend to buy a lot of stuff from them, but if needs must and i had to get something there and then i might get it there, Would i go there to get something fixed by their 'tech guys' no i wouldn't. I was only there to get a laptop for my parents there and then but due to the service and the things said by the advisor, i thought i would post it up, my only pity is people like you and Fox who tend to assume things just by was written down on here and ok maybe it wasn't the best place to buy, but there is no need to try to insult me on here.:mad:

I think you have totally misunderstood my posts , maybe try reading them again and you will see that in no way am I trying to insult you

Associate
OP
ok i'm sorry for that, but as i'm sure you can see i was getting a little bit annoyed at people who come on to the thread just to through insults about my IQ and [TW]Fox i admit i don't know everthing, happy?, but there is no need to have a go, just because in your mind i have bought something at the wrong place, and when it comes round to me needing a new desktop pc i will be building it and not buying it from a store ok!.

Soldato
ok i'm sorry for that, but as i'm sure you can see i was getting a little bit annoyed at people who come on to the thread just to through insults about my IQ and [TW]Fox i admit i don't know everthing, happy?, but there is no need to have a go, just because in your mind i have bought something at the wrong place, and when it comes round to me needing a new desktop pc i will be building it and not buying it from a store ok!.

You've completely got the wrong end of the stick, I wasn't having a go, I was sticking up for people who shop there, I fail to see how you got it so backwards tbh and if that's an example of how you are in real life then I wonder if you got it wrong with the salesman too.

Associate
OP
look in the first post i was having a go and i'm sorry for that, i was just a bit angry about some of fox's posts and i guess just overeacted, i not like that in real life (honest) i just got the wrong end of your post i was angry at fox mainly and after reading the posts i realised that you was sticking up for me and i didn't realise it. sorry :)

Mic551

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP -

So are you capable of fixing the screen if it goes wrong after 12 months?
What about something electronic inside the laptop if it shorts out?
Some of the internal parts can only be obtained from the manufacturer.
I'm not having a dig but most of us could swap out the memory, hard drives. optical hardware but there are a lot more things that can (and do) go wrong.
I would have looked at you the same making such a comment.
A lot of us have also seen software that can't be installed on computers.
For instance NHS IT came on thursday to put Microsoft Web Expression 2 on my works laptop and it wouldn't go on.

Of course refusing Norton & extra warranty is something I would do but not because I can 'repair' said product.

Man of Honour
I never even mentioned your IQ and other people got the wrong end of the stick Re: General intelligence again, something I was not judging nor do I care about.

I was discussing your IT knowledge. I beleive dmpoole has perfectly summed my point up just above.

They must get smart alecs going in there sounding off about knowledge all the time - the truth is a genuinely capable IT person won't buy a cheap Laptop from there anyway so the number of genuinelly knowledgeable customers they have is probably very small, so you were seen as yet another all mouth and no trousers person..

Soldato
Fox is right. Most people who actually know computers won't buy cheapo crap from the Purple Shirts (or similar) but will more than likley spend the extra to get a quality laptop or build their own desktop (or at the very least purchase a high quality one from somebody like OCUK)

Soldato
We see this thread so often on OcUK (can be expected considering it's a forum where hardware enthusiasts are) where people (usually arrogantly) look down on shop staff and scoff at everything that they say.

It's not their fault that they are told by their managers to push to sell these products, or that they may get a bit of extra commision selling insurance - if you were working for minimum wage then you might find your morals might slacken if you were desperately saving for something.

Desktops I can understand, as you can build them and generally buy parts off the shelf for them should something go wrong - but with laptops it's not always so easy (for example, I know what I'm doing and am confident with repairing things but I took my MacBook Pro back to Apple to replace the screen and optical drive - thank god for Applecare else it would have cost me over £600!)

For the record, my Mum wanted a laptop over xmas so we decided to go to a high street store as over that period there were a lot of good deals on and she had the money burning a hole in her purse. Of course they tried to sell her office / norton / insurance and after you politely decline any further questions by them can usually be answered with "I'll take that risk" or "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it" and that's usually enough for them.

Soldato
yeah just say "I'm sorry but we just want *INSERT LAPTOP MODEL*, we already have AV software and office, and manufacturers warranty should be good enough, take me to your leader/till (delete as appropriate)"

If they kick up a fuss then go buy it elsewhere :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14876790 said:
Provided your quality standards are through the floor I guess?

what have quality standards got to do with where you buy a laptop? :confused:

Fox is right. Most people who actually know computers won't buy cheapo crap from the Purple Shirts (or similar) but will more than likley spend the extra to get a quality laptop or build their own desktop (or at the very least purchase a high quality one from somebody like OCUK)
how? they sell vaios. the same vaio i ended up buying online for £300 cheaper....but they still sold the same laptop.

im sorry, but that is rubbish.

he starts having a argument with me saying what happens if the laptop breaks down, i said that if that happened i would fix it, but he still could not understand that people can fix their own things.

if your laptop went bang, you could fix it?

Soldato
I've had this arguement before, but its never really an arguement, i explain im an IT Technician and would sort any problems myself, and if the problem is hardware on a laptop I'd send it back to the manufacturer within 12months. After 12months, I'd contact them and work out a deal.

Caporegime
so how do you fix a broken laptop yourself in a cost effective manner? you realise how much even just the screens cost to replace? pretty much everything is built into the motherboard so you cant just swap out a broken bit like you can proper pc

Soldato
Send it back to the manufacturer? Either for free or at cost.

As far as I'm concerned I'd rather not pay for extended warranty on the off chance it'll break. I'd rather pay for it repairing if it breaks outside of manufacturers warranty, Due to the fact it's unlikely. Not saying it wont happen btw, Just that so far I've not had to send anything back, which has saved me plenty of cash on extended warranties on everything I own

Last edited:
Soldato

true for the most part but not totally true.

The purple shirts sell a lot of Dell's, granted usually a lesser spec for the same price than you can get online but I'd have no problem buying one of these from them if I was in need of a laptop pretty urgently, or if it was for a family member that didnt want to buy online (i would try my hardest to persuade them to though)

My point is, not everything they sell is of a lesser quality

Oh, I'd also recommend some of this stuff to others that ask me (people that have little or no IT knowledge) just because its much MUCH less hassle for me than if i convinced them to buy some spec off the internet. At the end of the day I'd get stuck supporting it, where as if it was from one of tehse shops i could just ssay go and take it back to them. More support is something I don't want after working in support all day

Last edited:
Associate
As a purple shirt owner myself i can see how it can be annoying, but there are customers who do actually want norton/office/accident damage cover. If we arn't asking them if they want it and telling them the benefits of it they could leave without everything they need. As for the arguments regarding if the person wants something or not, the employee should push a tad bit sometimes but not to the point where it offends the guest. I sometimes ask the person what they would do if the screen breaks and they usually don't have an answer so i explain what we do and then they decide if they want it or not. I try not to push to much, but with my manner it's never really an issue. If you make yourself clear from the very start of the sale then you may find that we don't push as much since you are sure what you want.

Last edited:
Soldato
The purple shirts sell a lot of Dell's

My point is, not everything they sell is of a lesser quality

Yes but they tend to sell the real cheap consumer Dell laptops. Dell make their money from business.

Oh and they sell Apple and Sony so I agree they do sell some "better" brands but most of their customers are not going in to by a £1000+ iMac or VAIO.

how? they sell vaios. the same vaio i ended up buying online for £300 cheaper....but they still sold the same laptop.

im sorry, but that is rubbish.

Not it isn't (see above) as most people who go to "The Purple Shirts" want a cheap pile of junk to "surf the Interwebs" and so are attracted by the ads saying you can have a super 17" laptop to watch movies on for £299

Not many people go to PC...er...the Purple Shirts to spend £1000 odd quid on a VAIO and most of the VAIOs I've seen in there are the nasty cheap end ones anyway.

It's exactly the same in Celestial Body or Tandoori when buying white goods. They go for a crap Candy washing machine because they saw it on the TV for £199. That same shop sells a Siemens or Miele for a lot more.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14876564 said:
There is a correlation between IT knowledge and where somebody decides to buy a laptop from, yes.

Lul wat?

If the same laptop costs more online than in purple shirt store then the one with less IQ will be buying it online 'because I don't like the purple shirt store'

;)

Back
Top Bottom