1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Muslims allowed student loans?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lunar, 20 Aug 2018.

1. Minusorange

Soldato

Freewill is the freedom to do as God commands

2. Angilion

Man of Honour

Using the word "religion" confers a massively privileged status on the thing you're referring to. Using the word "faery tale" does not. That's an important difference and a valid reason for not using the word "religion". If a person is opposed to something, why should they give it massively privileged status every time they refer to it? That's counter-productive for their purpose and it requires them to do something they consider ethically wrong, to help something they consider harmful.

I'm in two minds about it myself, but I understand that there is a good reason to avoid elevating some fantasy stories to an immensely privileged status by calling them "religion".

3. lunar

Gangster

The update is, we have reached a decision. Last week I sat down with my daughter and completed the loan application online. It was not easy because at various stages I had to keep reassuring my daughter that I will help pay the loan off asap. The appearance of 6.1% interest on the screen did not help.
    We received a response and the loan was approved within 5 days.

4. edscdk

Soldato

with all the honesty I can gather it
    Seems like the propet (something be his name) had some pretty good ideas. . Obviously the original meaasage got corrupted. Obviously you should not be screwing younger generations for Insane interest rates ..

5. LuckyBenski

Mobster

I can't comment on the challenge of balancing best interests and religion, but I know that going to uni will massively enrich your daughter's life. I was very wary of all borrowing but bit the bullet and went to uni at 26. I finished last year, having had 4 years of feeling very much "This was a great decision". Landed a job I would never have had a chance at and got a promotion today. So best of luck to her :)