Are Nightbreakers still the bulbs to go for?

Soldato
Out of interest how many people have had failures of aftermarket HID kits?

I have had 3 aftermarket HID kits, 2 on cars and one on my RSV. Not had a bit of bother with any of them, the oldest one being 3 years old.

HID kits are more affordable than ever now and the lighting performance over even the "best" aftermarket bulbs is well worth the small extra cost.

The last HID kit I bought was for the bike and it was @£50 inc del if I remember rightly. It was actually a 6000k car kit but I just used one ballast and one bulb and kept the other ones as spares. :cool:

Soldato
Thanks for the info. I'm always suspicious of the quality of Chinese stuff, and having headlamps dying on the small, unlit B roads I commute on doesn't seem like a fun option. I suppose carrying a spare H1 halogen lamp would be a good fall back.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
to be honest the nightbreakers are very good bulbs, but they blew within weeks of each other after only 6-7 months
however, i was in norway, which means day-running lights.

for 'normal' use, they're probably fine.
i mean it's been 6 months since i've had them replaced and they're still working, but then they've been off 98% of the time ;)

Soldato
*bump*

I neeeed some Bulbs OcUK.

Osram Nightbreakers don't get raving reviews on here or the world of google from the searching I've done.

So Its a toss up Between H7 Philips X-treme Power at £20.95 delivered..

or..

Halfords Extreme Brilliance at £24.99 < Currently on BOGOF (two bulbs for £24.99)

Or are there better alternatives out there?

Ta.

Had halfords extreme brilliance on my last car. Was really impressed by them, gave out a fantastic amount of light, very clear. I would buy again.

Soldato
Cheers chaps,

I think I'll go for the Phillips Bulbs as I can get them locally and my parents have offered to pay for them in lew of the work I've been doing!

Soldato
One of my Nightbreakers went around 2 weeks ago, think it lasted around 10-11 months. Fitted a new replacement and the light output from is considerably worse then the old one that's still working. Fitted and refitted 3 times but it's still the same so am wondering if they've reduced the intensity to increase the life?

Soldato
One of my Nightbreakers went around 2 weeks ago, think it lasted around 10-11 months. Fitted a new replacement and the light output from is considerably worse then the old one that's still working. Fitted and refitted 3 times but it's still the same so am wondering if they've reduced the intensity to increase the life?

It's possible if they were getting too many returns. Or maybe you have a duff bulb?

Soldato
OP
I'm on to Philips Blue Vision now, on par if not marginally better than the Nightbreakers.

I have a set of Nightbreakers in the GF's Corsa, one blew so i sent it back and they returned a new one within a week.

Soldato
I can't recommend the Xtreme Powers enough. Although they're quite.. Fragile. Yesterday morning both of mine fried themselves. I've had one blow in the past, too

Soldato
Just bought a set off the bay of fleas.

£15.26 + £2.95 delivery.

Cheapest I could find!

MERCEDES SLK 96-02 Philips Extreme H7 BULBS Upgrade 80% < IF anyone else wants some whilst the discount is still on :)

Associate
just got a set of the Halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs to fit in my Fiesta as the standard ones are just dangerous. I absolutly hate driving at night with-out the full beam on as i can so little ahead of me

Fitting them this weekend, will let you know

Soldato
Good find though, theyr'e even cheaper now :eek: I paid about £30 for my set :( I need a set of H7s too

I'm tempted to get another set aswell!

I've currently got some random H7 Jobbies as my dipped beam, and will be using the Philips Xtreme for the main beam (Most my driving is country road and back lanes)

You can get Osram Nightbreakers on ebay very cheaply aswell if you have a search, under £15.. so I'm tempted to get some as my dipped beam :p

Is it worth buying uprated W5W 501 Sidelight bulbs? These look alright..

Last edited:
Soldato
Old thread but I thought i'd update.. both my osram nightbreakers are now dead (drivers side one just stopped working altogether, passenger side would only work on full beam), utter garbage:p just stuck the old Philips ones back in, cba with contacting osram.

edit: I think it's something to do with shock, they don't seem to last 5 mins in a car with stiff suspension.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom