are roof lights problematic?

Soldato
do roof lights tend to leak often? what kind of experiences have you had with small roof lights 1m x 1m for example?

Caporegime
Depends exactly what you mean by "Roof Light", does it open or not, why should it leak if installed correctly?

We have three Velux windows one of them is quite large, had them for 7 years, never leaked.

Soldato
OP
ok cool people been telling me their are a problem sometimes they leak etc
especially the smaller ones but yes like u said depends on how they are installed and how good of an install it was.

Soldato
OP
Any break it the roof structure is a potential weak point. The benefit of extra light outweighs the risk for me.

yes I agree but do u think too much natural light has drawbacks?

thinking of sticking some roof lights on top of the loft dormer. not seen that design before.

Soldato
Ours don't leak, but they are noisy!

I made the mistake of trying to save a few quid by having double layer plastic ones fitted, and they make a hell of a racket when it rains, drowning out the TV some times. Eventually I'm going to follow acoustic secondary glazing principles by fitting another glazing sheet halfway down the upstand, with sound absorbing tiles lining the area in between.

Soldato
OP
Ours don't leak, but they are noisy!

I made the mistake of trying to save a few quid by having double layer plastic ones fitted, and they make a hell of a racket when it rains, drowning out the TV some times. Eventually I'm going to follow acoustic secondary glazing principles by fitting another glazing sheet halfway down the upstand, with sound absorbing tiles lining the area in between.

yer noise is a good thing to think about... never did consider that.

Back
Top Bottom