Are the Euros spoiled by being spread out around Europe with some teams having home advantage?

Caporegime
Given how the Euros are spread out around Europe and this was planned pre-Covid, are the Euros spoiled by the lack of travelling fans descending into one country (or 2-3 depending on host countries) and is it fair that so many teams are playing at home? So far there have been several teams that have played in their home stadiums, surely giving an advantage to these teams and a disadvantage to others? Belgium were the ‘home’ team against Russia, in Moscow! Thoughts?

Soldato
It is basically our tournament anyway as we are hosting the Semi-final and Final.

I do agree that having one host nation would have been better however.

Yeah being spread out and no host is rather strange, far better on a neutral ground. Might be different for the players but even they would feed off of a tournament buzz surely.

You will always have one team having home advantage though...its unavoidable.

Man of Honour
I think it will detract a little bit from the overall 'atmosphere' / culture that you get from a traditional tournament, I mean like many people I was introduced to Pavarotti by Italia'90 etc.

However to be honest with Eriksen situation maybe a blessing in disguise, playing in Copenhagen meant he could go to hospital in Copenhagen meaning easy access for friends and family etc, no nightmare scenario where they all have to jump on a flight to Spain or whatever.

Personally I'm not that fussed about the impact on the tournament, it was worth trying I think. England have lucked out to some extent but there's also an element of making your own luck i.e. we've demonstrated that we can successfully host large sporting events, big CL finals etc.

Soldato
Seems alright in the circumstances - best they can do.
It's not a Covid thing, though. Iirc, bidding for this was in the slipstream of the credit crunch recession, and no-one wanted to shoulder the hosting costs.

I think you do lose a sense of identity for the tournament, not having a proper host country/pair of countries.

Caporegime
OP
It's not a Covid thing, though. Iirc, bidding for this was in the slipstream of the credit crunch recession, and no-one wanted to shoulder the hosting costs.

I think you do lose a sense of identity for the tournament, not having a proper host country/pair of countries.

This. Tournaments are known by their Hosts a lot of the time as well as when they were. Italia '90, USA '94, England '66. Russia 2018 etc.

Associate
Reason the tournament was spread out around different countries is it was intended as a celebration of 60 years of the Euros. It was originally over more locations but covid put pay to that ( UEFA wanted fans in stadiums ) .

Man of Honour
It does seem to be missing a bit of its usual spark but I think the reduced crowds due to covid would have had an impact whether they were in one country or mulitple ones.
I believe this is a one off anyway.

Soldato
Didn't work for Scotland yesterday :p

On another note I am not feeling any buzz surrounding this tournament yet, hopefully it will kick in soon though as the better games come around. Lets face it having fans piling into one country wouldn't be viable right now anyway.

Associate
Yeah I don't all these teams having home advantage, doesn't matter quite soo much with the low attendance do to CV.. Would like to see it going back to one country in 2024.

Man of Honour
It does seem to be missing a bit of its usual spark but I think the reduced crowds due to covid would have had an impact whether they were in one country or mulitple ones.
I believe this is a one off anyway.
I think even with full stadia it would lack something; normally with a tournament the media will do little segments exploring the culture of the host nation, consistent theme on the intros, music etc. You learn about the impact the tournament is having on the local areas, it just has a bit of mystique about it. England are playing a lot of games at Wembley but there's nowhere near the general hype you get when England/UK is actually hosting the Euros / Olympics etc.

It feels a bit like the latter stages of European club competition - you engage with it, concentrate on the football, but there's no general 'festival' going on around it.

Associate
Host nations are a must, just adds to the identity. Getting full stadiums again is going to add so much more atmosphere to games, its not bad at the moment but no where near what it used to be when full.

Back
Top Bottom