1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these normal tyre sizes for front and rear ?!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by MehulLakhani, 6 Feb 2006.

1. MehulLakhani

Wise Guy

Hey guys

Have just put the deposit down for my first porsche :) Ahhhhhhhhhhhh .

Anyways, have been looking through the pics, and have noticed that the tyre sizes front and back are different .

The tyres on the front are 18" wheels, and the tyre reads 225/40/18 (pirelli P zeros - without the red writing ) , and on the back they are 265/35/18 ( Pirelli P Zero's with red writing ) ?

This seems odd to me . . . . I understand that the tyres on the back are wider, but should they also be lower profile ? Is this dangerous ?

R

Mehul

2. Serj

Mobster

The profile of the tyre is a percentage of the tyre width. So those tyres should actually be the same profile in terms of cm :)

3. MehulLakhani

Wise Guy

Ok, so let me get this straight, even though the profile is lower on the back, as they are wider tyres, it works out the same, and so the car does sit level, and the back tyres are not infact lower than the front ones.

?

M

4. kaiowas

Capodecina

You can calculate the sidewall heights from the width and profile -

Front: 225 x 0.4 = 90mm
    Rear: 265 x 0.35 = 92.75mm

So the rears are actually slightly bigger.

5. Oracle

Banned

Its to allow the power to be transferred to the tarmac providing better grip with the Porsche. If you had the front wheels on the back, you might find you have less grip especially in the wet, and with the rears on the front, you might find the steering heavier and less responsive. The profile is ok, but it doesnt hurt to have the same profile on the rear and still have the wider tyres.

6. Stonedofmoo

Soldato

265/35

Ouch, thats gonna hurt the wallet! :)