Are wheelspins really bad for your car?

Soldato
Well to be fair, it's probably more the effort of getting them to start wheelspinning that causes more strain - once they're going, it's just spinning as they usually would, only not propelling the car forward quite as quickly!

Caporegime
ConfusedTA said:
Well to be fair, it's probably more the effort of getting them to start wheelspinning that causes more strain - once they're going, it's just spinning as they usually would, only not propelling the car forward quite as quickly!

You get problems with side loads on the diff and impact forces when the wheels do bite in and grip. You get a lot of backlash on the gears too.

Kind of the opposite of really grippy tyres though which just destroy boxes

Soldato
Simon said:
You get problems with side loads on the diff and impact forces when the wheels do bite in and grip. You get a lot of backlash on the gears too.

Ooops yeah, i forgot about sideways forces :)

/me slinks off into corner again! ;)

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
At first read i thought you put Matador, no wonder you have bad grip!

spanish%20matador%20blue.jpg

Lol, you know what I meant.

I actually have 2 new matadors on my current car :(

Already had the arse out going around a roundabout in the dry!! Was driving normally probably a little slower than usual, checked my left wing mirror, indicated left to take the exit, look up and i'm going sideways slightly ahah

Caporegime
Enfield said:
Already had the arse out going around a roundabout in the dry!! Was driving normally probably a little slower than usual, checked my left wing mirror, indicated left to take the exit, look up and i'm going sideways slightly ahah

Thats an impressive lack of grip!

Associate
TinkerBell said:
1.2I 16v corsa, haha
I've never actually wheel spun on my Corsa though the courtesy car (also a 1.2 Corsa) which I had recently, running on 185/55 R15 eco tyres, spun once or twice when starting off as I normally would in my own Corsa, which uses 195/45 R16 Dunlop SP9000 tyres. I can only assume it is the tyres though I'm sure revving like nuts and dropping the clutch would be the other reason ;)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Simon said:

That's what stronger gearboxes and diffs are for surely :D

Zip

Zip

Soldato
DONT try a handbrake turn in a corsa!!!!
It will probably fall over :p

We have all had wheel spin before, it wont do much damage unless you do it constantly and thrash the engine when taking off.
I stalled at a traffic light the other week in the middle of the city with a huge line of cars behind so it was a matter of me pooping my self and getting going before they started beeping, i got wheel spin and it was hot and dry. I didnt even try to spin the wheels, it just happend. The car in frount of me was a cop aswell so i crapped my self once again thankfully he didnt pull me up :p :D

Edit: i dont drive a corsa though :p

Soldato
if you're getting wheelspins when not pushing hard, your tyres must be absolutely awful! I'd personally get something better on there before it does you some damage :( In my cav i had £30 a piece front tyres on that i could get a wheelspin out of on the change from first to 2nd in a 1.6 8v, and they just felt so iffy. Tyres are the only thing connecting your car to the road, don't trust crap ones :(

Tom.

Soldato
F355 said:
What car do you drive? I have never had accidental wheel spin, and my car isn't exactly slow. You either drive a 500bhp skyline or you are doing something wrong :p

I can spin the wheels up without any problems with 255 wide Goodyear F1s in first and second mashing the pedal in a straight line and I dont have anything close to 500bhp

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Bear said:
I can spin the wheels up without any problems with 255 wide Goodyear F1s in first and second mashing the pedal in a straight line and I dont have anything close to 500bhp
My 997cc powered 100E could light the rears up to smoke in first if I heeled the brake at the same time. Mind you it only had 155's :D

Back
Top Bottom