Are wheelspins really bad for your car?

Man of Honour
Bear said:
I can spin the wheels up without any problems with 255 wide Goodyear F1s in first and second mashing the pedal in a straight line and I dont have anything close to 500bhp
In the damp I've never had a problem getting wheelspin from almost any car. He must be very light on the throttle.

Wheelspin is generally not good for tyres/clutch/gearbox/differential/driveshafts/CV joints.

Soldato
Lopéz said:
In the damp I've never had a problem getting wheelspin from almost any car. He must be very light on the throttle.

Wheelspin is generally not good for tyres/clutch/gearbox/differential/driveshafts/CV joints.

I dont do it that much unless I really want to accelerate hard. Its damn scary in the wet though as the usless viscous LSD doesnt lock quick enough so when accelerating hard in second, when it comes on boost the rear end kicks out when going in a straight line. Makes for a brown trouser moment, I just drive like a granny in the wet now. :o

Soldato
The only time I've ever spun a tyre in the Toyota was on ice. Mind you, it's a 4WD tank and my riding lawn mower has more horsepower.

The truck, now. That's another story..... :D

Permabanned
Used to spin my land rover all the time int he mud! Bad for it though, can wind the box up and blow it! Wheelspinning just causes stress on gearboxes. Do it all the time and you might as well carry a spare box in the boot :p

Caporegime
Wheelspinning wrecks the driveline & tyres.

On an HGV, your guaranteed to shatter a half shaft if you do it too often. (Been there! :o )

Wheelspin = no traction = bad news* imo. ;)

* But damn good fun in the right situation. :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
Always fun when a truck comes in with a snapped hlaf shaft.. Looks like it just snapped like a twig! Not bad considering how strong they are! :o

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
F355 said:
What car do you drive? I have never had accidental wheel spin, and my car isn't exactly slow. You either drive a 500bhp skyline or you are doing something wrong :p

I don't have 500bhp, and I get unintentional wheelspin in the first 3 gears in the wet. Even in the dry it's hard not to get wheelspin in first.

Soldato
once your spinning I would have thought there is less torque on the drivetrain then when you have uber grip and planting the power. I imagine it will load the LSD more as you are going to have +/- 25% powere differential moving between wheels as they start gripping/slipping as they find lose traction as you go up the road and you fishtail a bit.

The only time I cringe is when you get that nasty juddery grip spin grip spin etc effect, you just feel the cars pain!!

The £340 for rear tyres normally keeps me from flooring it all the time, oh and almost ending up backwards on a few occasions when that perfect drift encounters a variance in road surface ;)

Soldato
Enfield said:
I'd go with the ditchfinders theory.

I had 4 on my 205 with lots of tread and I could get it to spin in 2nd gear in the dry when changing from 1st hard.

DO NOT buy Metadors!

I could do that with Avon C233's on the front, so its not rubbish tyres necessarily.

Back
Top Bottom