Are you a supermarket snob?

Soldato
and if so/not, which are your preferred ones?

I detest Asda, I'll drive an extra 10 miles to avoid one and opt for any alternative but most likely a Sainsburys or Aldi. A mixture of clientele and the sheer volume of them, ignorant staff, confusing store layout and useless so called self service areas which now either have conveyor belts or are too small to actually fit your shopping onto. I say so called because I've never used one without requiring assistance of some form.

However, right across the road from my local Asda is an Aldi. Great little shop, got everything I need at a cheaper price, I'll be served by a human and the car park is always near empty... It makes me wonder why more don't shop there?!

In order of prefernce these days I'd have to say:
Sainsburys
Aldi
Lidl
Tesco

Commissario
No. I'll go to wherever is closest to me and has what I want in stock.

/edit - Never really had any problems with self checkout and I will add that I do quite like the local Tesco with their zappers and contactless payment.

Soldato
I will avoid our Asda as it's always really busy and full of kids running about and pushchairs but no, generally supermarket snobbery is frankly pathetic.

Soldato
No. I'll go to wherever is closest to me and has what I want in stock.

/edit - Never really had any problems with self checkout and I will add that I do quite like the local Tesco with their zappers and contactless payment.

Basically this, That just so happens to be Asda.

Man of Honour
I'll go to the closest one that usually has what I want. Unfortunately that does tend to be Waitrose at both home and work :/

Soldato
For the main shop it's online and with Tesco.

If we need to pick up any bits for whatever reason, there is a small Morrisons 5 minutes from me so we go there.

I don't have any issue with any of them though.

Morrisons make the best doughnuts imo

Soldato
Morrison's and M&S are basically the only places we go to.

Too many people in sportswear who have never been near a gym at the other supermarkets.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lidl all the way. Although recently the car parks have turned into a sham with people parking everywhere. They even have annoying parking validation scanners at ours which is a bit of a pain.

Family love the food though and I like the price, so will continue to shop there

Are there people who exclusively shop online? Even for fruit and veg etc?

Soldato
I prefer Sainsburys and detest Tesco.

But, I normally use ASDA though as it's the most convenient for me and just time my visits when it is least busy (normally first thing in the morning on a week day). I don't use the self service contraptions in there so I can't comment on those. Don't normally have any issues. Anything else I need I normally pick up in Waitrose as it's in the city centre.

I can walk to my nearest ASDA whereas I'd need a car to get to Sainsburys (but I don't drive) and my normal weekly shop is too small to make ordering online viable.

Soldato
We almost always go to Waitrose, it is slightly more expensive for a reason!

The local Aldi has a great bakery and fresh veg section though!

I'll go to the closest one that usually has what I want. Unfortunately that does tend to be Waitrose at both home and work :/

What don't you like about Waitrose?

Soldato
Whatever is closest but usually avoid Aldi / Lidl as every time I go in they have a massive queue. Obviously the people round here have caught on to the cheaper prices.

Man of Honour
I'll shop anywhere, if I want value for money I'll nip to the Aldi 5 minutes from the house.
If I want to come out of the shop without having murdered anyone for milling around in the middle of an aisle or being attacked by a worker with a cage full of stock I'll nip to Waitrose 5 minutes in the other direction.
Then if I want home delivery I use Asda.

Associate
Waitrose is good for quality products, but at times the offers are a bit lacking..

I don't mind paying an extra £1 for better quality meat, I don't like paying an extra £1 for the same bottle of coke that's always 1/2 price everywhere else.

I tend to go for Tesco though, as it's the closest.

Soldato
Home delivery is the king. I can't believe we took so long to come around to it. Sainsbury's is the one we use, probably because we got used to using them before and were familiar with their products.

Back
Top Bottom