Are you a supermarket snob?

Soldato
I love nothing more than having a good nosey at the whoopsie section in Asda/Tesco/Morrisons.

Morrisons tends to be the best with mega reductions on stuff if you go in 8:00pm onwards!

Clearly you are one of the 10% who cheerfully rifle through the mound whilst the the remainder hang back and feign disinterest whilst craning to look over your shoulder at any interesting items exposed under the surface layer. I imagine stuff like this in Waitrose is off to the side and hidden behind screens to protect peoples modesty. :)

Soldato
We used to get really good deals on fresh meat that was marked down because it had the next days date but it doesn't seem to happen anymore :(

Probably because it goes the moment it gets reduced. Last year I was in my local Tesco doing some late night shopping with my other half and no joke this Tesco worker was pulling cage along of reduced items from another part of the store. By the time he got to the fridge he had accumulated his own entourage with 20/25 people in toe following him just waiting to stop and unload the bargains. I was shocked to say the least.

Man of Honour
I quite like ASDA. For things like buying ingredients for your own salads and general veg it's soooo much cheaper than Sainsbos and the like. You can get some interesting people in there, mind.

For anything that falls within 'ready meal / zero prep' Waitrose stuff tends to be the highest quality followed by M&S.

Tesco has BY FAR the worst meat.

Soldato
I won't judge you for that :) Superb supermarket, nevertheless. Champions of local produce. 95% of my fresh stuff from Booths is from Cumbria, Lancs, or Yorks.

Lake District.... Keswick, I think, near the pet shop and Winfields camping shop.
Yeah, that was pretty good, as I recall. Odd layout, but no more than the average Sainsburys, I'd say.

Man of Honour
Oh yeah!

morrisons-20170131-135221.jpg

These go out of date last July - I wouldn't pay 9p for them :o

Sainsbury's and Tesco are my 2 faves. Sainsbury's is more paedestrian-friendly and the most accessible. Tesco isn't paedestrian-friendly at all, but it has the best saver plan for online delivery.

Asda is a bit out of the way for me, but there is one near my work. Whenever I go to buy tea/coffee for my dept, it always seems to be full of pushchairs.

Morrison's don't exist. Not in Stafford anyway. I don't regard supermarkets as the "big 4". It's the "big 3" with Sainsbury's, Tesco and Asda.

Waitrose and M&S are for posh farts and coffin-dodgers who are on final salary pensions :p

Soldato
Pricing data from The Grocer would suggest there's a lot less difference in pricing between Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrison's, Lidl and Aldi than most people perceive. There was something a while back about how much people thought £100 worth of shopping from Aldi would cost elsewhere. The top result was something like £125 at Sainsbury's. The reality (with that trolley, on that day) was Tesco were the most expensive at £104.

Soldato
I've swapped many times to do the weekly shop and to be fair they've always been the same price roughly! Lidls(£60-70), Asda(£65-70), Tesco(£60-70). This is just for me and the missus.

Caporegime
My shopping strategy has been the same no matter what supermarket.

Don't use a trolley, only use a hand basket. The end result is there is only so much you can carry in the basket, both in volume and in weight. It always cost between £15-£25 no matter where I shop :p

Has been doing that since uni days.

Back
Top Bottom