Are you a supermarket snob?

Soldato
For me. If I got to aldi / lidl. I end up with lots of fresh meat and veg and we cook lots of nice "real" meals for a week. If I got to one of the big ones, I end up with a trolley full of crisps, chocolate etc, and after 3 days I'm digging through the freezer trying to make a meal out of the loose potato waffles that are stuck to the bottom of the freezer drawer and a tin of kidney beans :/

Associate
My only issue with home delivery is I'll usually order something I've really been craving for a treat for that evenings dinner and it causes serious irrational anger when it arrives and that items been unavailable or subbed for something that could only be considered a like for like replacement by someone who's never eaten food before.

I once added a squeegee to my basket, and no stock was available. They decided to send me a shower head instead, because reasons. :confused::rolleyes:

Soldato
I like the efficiency of Aldi and Lidl.

No deciding which brand of cornflakes to choose... just pick up the box that says cornflakes :p

For my shop, it's much cheaper than the other supermarkets, though I guess that depends on what you buy.

Don
I'm afraid I'm a snob, local organic food box home delivery, anything else from sainsbury's and if I have to go into a supermarket then it has to be waitrose.

haters, hate away

Soldato
Not at all.

Back in the UK I used to shop at Sainsbury due to location convenience, but these days I go where I get the best deals. Since we pretty much buy the same things every week, we can judge our bills to within 10 bucks.

Soldato
My local Tesco smells like sewers, so I avoid there if I can.

Strange. There's a Tesco Express near me that smells rank too.

I'm guessing for it to occur across multiple stores, it could be something related to their air conditioning setup, or bad hygiene practice with their display fridges. :confused:

Soldato
Hate Asda. Full of council estate mothers with their double pushchairs and another kid running around like they're possessed by the devil. Quality of food is abysmal also.

Weekly shop is usually Sainsbury's. Lidl is good, decent quality stuff especially fresh meat. Lack of order and logic really drives me mad though.

Soldato
OP
My shopping strategy has been the same no matter what supermarket.

Don't use a trolley, only use a hand basket. The end result is there is only so much you can carry in the basket, both in volume and in weight. It always cost between £15-£25 no matter where I shop :p

Has been doing that since uni days.

£15 worth of food doesn't last the week. You're probably spending a fortune on top up shops everyday :p

Soldato
Amazon Pantry for all non-perishable goods. I can't see the point in wasting time walking around a shop for things that are always the same and have long shelf lives.

Anywhere convenient for the fresh produce - supermarket or local retailer. Fresh fish is a tough one locally, despite being near the coast. There's only one fishmongers within 15 miles outside the supermarkets.

Soldato
Amazon Pantry for all non-perishable goods. I can't see the point in wasting time walking around a shop for things that are always the same and have long shelf lives.

Anywhere convenient for the fresh produce - supermarket or local retailer. Fresh fish is a tough one locally, despite being near the coast. There's only one fishmongers within 15 miles outside the supermarkets.

Sainsbury's or Morrison's for fish. The rest (inc. Waitrose) are crap.

Soldato
I'll admit to not liking tescos, mostly shop at asda these days although our local is pretty decent off-peak.

Used to shop at lidl and whilst some of their stuff is pretty good, their "fresh" meat is very poor, apart from that everything else is a pointless drive for the sake of a weekly shop.

And before someone says go to a butcher, i cba doing a round tour of the town for the sake of food.

Soldato
Pricing data from The Grocer would suggest there's a lot less difference in pricing
It's not all about the pricing, though... Asda brand of pie will be full of cack, where Aldi or Waitrose will have more palatable and healthy content. They may all cost £2, but you may not get what you think you're paying for.

How so? It's clear to anyone that the majority of customers of Waitrose and m&s are of a higher class than elsewhere (or at least tow the line and act like they are).
Again, it's not that our standards are 'higher', so much as we just refuse to sink below a certain level and be fobbed off with junk.
You wouldn't get a cheap cooling block from Poundland to look after your Titan X - We wouldn't buy from shops where their brands would make a goat puke! :D

Back
Top Bottom