Are you a supermarket snob?

Associate
we have a waitrose and asda right next to each other, i'll go in asda and buy stuff in tins and bottles, packets etc and go to waitrose for fresher meat and veg. asdas meat, fruit and veg is cheaper but it always seems off or close to going off.

Soldato
Nope, don't care where I shop. Usually its the Co-op because its literally round the corner I can walk there in minutes, prices aren't the best but the convenience is.

Tend to go early evening or later because you get a till to yourself during the daytime its invariably stuffed full and long queues and long waits at the tills and I've got better things to do with my time.

There are Asda's and Sainsburys elsewhere but I find the sheer size of the places too much honestly I don't like spending 10 minutes walking from one end of the store to the other. Ok thats an exaggeration but you get the point. They're also invariably jam packed too. Asda's fuel pump prices are good but too out of the way to visit regularly.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm amazed people spend hundreds of hours grocery shopping every year when it can be done automatically online!

Hundreds of hours ....? I do my weekly shop in my local ASDA as I don't drive and it's within walking distance. I go first thing in the morning when it opens at 8am. I normally catch the 8:14 tram back towards home so I have spent less than 15mins in the supermarket for the week. Even allowing for travel there and back it would be pushing it to say 30hrs for the year ....

Soldato
No. If you're a supermarket snob, you're a idiot. There is nothing "special" about "posh" supermarkets like M&S, Waitrose.

Waitrose - old people dressed up in their Sunday best, best cars in the car park, nice relaxed atmosphere.

Iceland - stinks of the poor, smokers / druggies / people that look like they need a good shower. Awful, threatening place to visit.

M&S - see Waitrose, except with better food.

Tesco - in the middle, full of families with children and boy racers in the car park.

ASDA - frequented by women in pyjamas thinking that is acceptable public attire. Very average but cheap.

Sainsbury's - middle of the road, nicer environment than ASDA but still nothing to get excited about.

Aldi / Lidl - ok if you know to expect a more back to basics setup where there are camping stoves next to the curious antelope sausage meat.

Soldato
Our main shop is done at Aldi, it's a no-brainer, all the produce and most of the meats are all the same, but just cheaper. ;)

We do pop to Asda afterwards, for a few items that Aldi doesn't have.

Associate
Clearly you are all peasents as none of you care to mention the finest supermarket which is whole foods. Why slum it parked next to inferior cars like Audis in Waitrose or play "dodge the scum" in the of likes of Sainsbury's.

I'd love to stay and discuss this more however my butler Tarquin is preparing my breakfast whilst my wife Penelope is off to have the Bentley valeted.

Soldato
Living on a small Island I don't have the same choice as most of you, but preference in order:

Waitrose
M&S
Co-op

There are a few others that stock Tesco items.

I am very much a Waitrose person (we have the biggest store in the UK apparently) and find it relatively good value, particularly compared to others such as Co-op that are complete rip-off merchants here.

It's just nice to be able to walk through a spacious store with good choice and (for here) good value items (if you don't go for premium stuff).

We have an Iceland... I will never set foot in one given the absolute trash they put in their food.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sainsburys near work is the superior experience, wider aisle better lighting.

I'm a bit off a snob as you won't catch me in iceland or asda, I tend to use tesco's out of convenience but sometimes i shop about. Not a fan of the tesco's meat selections but it's fine for veg\cupboard stuff Waitrose and sainsbury's offer much better spice and seasonings if you are cooking something a bit more unique but tesco's isn't too far behind, Morrisons is terrible around here for unusual stuff like rice vinegar/mirin/harrissa.

Soldato
Yes they both have annoying idiots full of the own self importance in the way when i want to do any shopping

I think that says more about you rather then the place or the people that shop there :p

Just imagining a guy buying a paper in the morning on a Sunday while sneering at the guy in front for buying smoked salmon to have with his scrambled eggs.

This idea that snobs/self important shoppers going to Waitrose is more born as a result of their marketing rather than personal customer experience. In every supermarket you have idiots that take up aisle space, that dont get out the way, are inconsiderate and oblivious to their surroundings.

Tesco have always marketed themselves as good value and cheap, so people assume these oblivious shoppers to be idiots or dullards because they dont get out of the way. That the inconsideration is a result of them being the bottom rung of society and not caring for others or just too dim to notice that they have the trolly bang in the middle of the aisle.

Waitrose and M&S on the other hand have always gone for a premium/quality focus when marketing their brands. This then gives people the idea that the oblivious shoppers they encounter are self important because they refuse to get out the way immediately and snobby when they ask or are expectant of you to move when you are in the way.

Though one place that certainly do have a 'type' of clientele is home bargains. I never knew this place existed until i had to stop by halfords at a retail park and decided to pop in to grab a bottle of water. The place is basically a mini supermarket with only shelf life items which are mainly sold in multipacks. I found the clientele were all fairly large families, going round with a train of kids. It was a hectic and horrible experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom